Connect ESP32 board to Arduino Mega2560

Hello,

I need to connect an ESP32 development board (preferably wirelessly) to an modified Arduino Mega2560, as the Arduino contains the ports for the DC motors to drive the wheels, arm and gripper of a robot. I need the ESP32 as I want to connect to it wirelessly via an Android App which will run a program to recognise objects from the robot's videofeed.

I have a little electronics knowledge but I'm new to Arduino and ESP32 so any advice is much appreciated.

Do you really need an ESP32, specifically, or just wifi connectivity?

I need the ESP32 as I want to connect to it wirelessly via an Android App which will run a program to recognise objects from the robot's videofeed.

I don't see yet why you need the ESP32 if you want to connect it wireless to the Mega2560. If you connect it by wire I see a reason as then the ESP32 will be the wireless gateway.

You have to provide much more information. How is the Mega2560 currently controlled? UART? Buttons?

Post as much information as you have about your current installation.

I have a little electronics knowledge but I'm new to Arduino and ESP32 so any advice is much appreciated.

So I guess you didn't build the robot yourself but bought an existing commercial model. Post links to it!

Have you considered using two NRF24L01 Transceiver Modules. Try this link for how to do it: https://howtomechatronics.com/tutorials/arduino/arduino-wireless-communication-nrf24l01-tutorial/ There are also several applications shown on this web site.

"I need to connect an ESP32 development board (preferably wirelessly) to an modified Arduino Mega2560, "

A "wireless" connection between an ESP board and a MEGA might be hard as the MEGA has no native wireless capability.