connect two leds wireless (make them glow on smaller distance) or by touch

Hello!

I want to try to make a gala gadget for my girlfriend but not really sure where to begin.
I want to make either a light glow brighter the closer we would be together or that it lights up as soon as we would touch each other. The problem is that the setup should be really small and wearable (so small batteries). Any ideas? Would be much appreciated! I have some basic knowledge but not sure how to approach this.

Cheers,
Niels :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don't think there is any simple way of detecting distance unobtrusively. Ultrasonic distance sensors can do it, but they are quite large.

The strength of a wireless signal is not suitable for detecting changes in distance because it is affected by so many things in the surrounding environment. Also the variation is signal strength over small changes in distance would be negligible.

A possibility (but more of a gimmick) might be to use a light-dependent-resistor (LDR) to detect the light levels assuming that being closer would obstruct the light.

...R

Thanks a lot for the reply!
yeah was afraid that measuring distance would be difficult. What about a signal with a very small range? So as soon as you are closer then lets say 1 meter it would connect? Is there a sensor like that?

NielsK:
What about a signal with a very small range? So as soon as you are closer then lets say 1 meter it would connect? Is there a sensor like that?

I don’t know of any and I don’t recall any being mentioned on the Forum.

…R

An infra-red beacon might be of use.

There is the obvious prerequisite that the two devices be facing each other, but that may be quite appropriate.

What about a signal with a very small range?

Seen this?

Or for greater range, this:-