Connecting Arduino -> Raspberry Pi -> IoT

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer here, so thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I've been trying to sync some load cells (basically weight scales) up to the cloud for weight tracking. I'm able to get accurate values for cells on the Serial Monitor in Arduino IDE, which is really great. But I'm curious if there is a way to use a pi (or any computer) as a replacement for an Ethernet shield. I eventually want to have multiple scales (and therefore multiple arduinos) hooked up to a single pi that then updates a Cloud spreadsheet. I've looked in to sites like Groovestreams.com, but most of them expect an Ethernet shield on the Arduino. Due to limitations at the facility this is being implemented in an Ethernet shield would not be ideal.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If you want to connect the Arduino to the RPi using a serial connection then this Python - Arduino demo may help get you started.

See also Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data. The concepts are equally valid on a PC.

...R

Brancher:
I'm able to get accurate values for cells on the Serial Monitor in Arduino IDE, which is really great. But I'm curious if there is a way to use a pi (or any computer) as a replacement for an Ethernet shield.

Well the Pi has a serial port so could read the output you are currently sending to the Arduino Serial Monitor and Internet connection capability, so I would imagine some appropriate software on the Pi would do what you want.

Perhaps ask the question in a Pi forum ?

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.