Controlling a 100W 12V DC pump by using relay

Hi guys, I have to control a 12V DC pump by using Arduino in my project. So, if I want to use a relay module to do it, do I have to prepare another 5V power source for the relay? Or can I just use the Arduino itself to provide 5V for the relay? FYI, I have another 12V, 10A power adapter for the pump.
Any guidance will be appreciated, it will be better if some wiring connection is also suggested as this is my first time working with a relay.

Thank you!!!

HowToCODE:
Hi guys, I have to control a 12V DC pump by using Arduino in my project. So, if I want to use a relay module to do it, do I have to prepare another 5V power source for the relay? Or can I just use the Arduino itself to provide 5V for the relay? FYI, I have another 12V, 10A power adapter for the pump.
Any guidance will be appreciated, it will be better if some wiring connection is also suggested as this is my first time working with a relay.

Thank you!!!

I think yhr trlsy board neeeds separate power. But you could use a 5V PSU both for the arduino and the relay board.

Nearly 10A could be a little too much for these chinese boards. I would use two relays in paralel.

Or even better, use a Mosfet with the apropiate heatsink. This way you won't need a 5V power supply; you could power the whole thing via USB

1. You cannot connect RELAYS directly to Arduino (as their current is to high and it shall fry Arduino pin).
  2. Many of RELAY MODULES (i.e. Relays with PCB containing LEDs, transistors and things) - they usually have a transistor built into them. You can distinguish those as they have a separate +5V power input to be used parallel to your Arduino.

You can use RELAY MODULES directly
You cannot connect JUST RELAYS directly.

Relays cannot be powered by Arduino directly, but if you have a decent 5V...2A power supply - you can power both Arduino and relay module from a single 5V PSU

You can power 12vdc relays from your motor power source.
You can put in a power logic circuit to signal the relay from the Arduino.
you could put in a power conditioner and voltage regulator on the 12VDC motor supply to get power for the Arduino.

a relay is pretty simple.it has a set of contacts. like a switch. they must be rated for the load, plus a safety margin
the relay has a coil that drives the contacts. this is the power consumed by the relay. 12vdc and 5vdc are very common although a specific relay can be found that would use almost any voltage. AC or DC.

the coil requires a driver circuit when the signal is coming from an IC such as an Arduino.
so you need a driver circuit. as was noted, you can buy a relay module that has the driver built in.

I would offer that you can get a 12VDC relay module and use your Arduino to signal it.
the Songle relays can be found that can handle the motor.

this does not appear to have a driver, so you would need to make your own circuit.

Can I do the connection like this? The relay will be connected to Arduino via the input pin and the VCC pin of the relay will be connected to another 5V power source. The 5V power source if I use a YW robot power module is that ok?

I would say that we typically try to reduce the parts counts.
if you require a power source for the pump, that gets one.
you need power for the Arduino.
to add a 3rd, just for the relay starts to add more parts than necessary.
a relay is not a large consing part so there is no wrong answer.
if using 5VDC for the relay, works for you, no one is stopping you. you can do that

@dave-in-nj
How about a datasheet or link for that pictured relay.

dave-in-nj:
this does not appear to have a driver, so you would need to make your own circuit.

The markings at the control side (V+, V-, IN at the screw terminal plus the various jumpers), and the various components on the board, suggest to me it DOES have a driver circuit.
That little white block is probably an optocoupler, I also see a small diode which must be the flyback diode for the relay coil. I can't find any candidate for a transistor, though, in that image. Expecting to see an SOT-23 package for that. It may be hidden from view somewhere.

If I am using a relay module with optocoupler, can i use Arduino 5V connected to the VCC of the relay, the jumper at the JD-VCC is not removed.

sorry to interrupt you guys. can someone help me? why my circuit not operated when i connected the relay 12v 1channel to solenoid 12v valve. for power supply i was used adapter 12v. maybe voltage drop more at relay? please help me

Based on the information given...

I think you're doing something wrong.

Why don't you start off by reading the forum sticky, and following the instructions given on how to get informed help.