converting a dc motor in to a servo with adafruit motorschield v2.3

Hi all Could this be a nice project ? I will surly try if it's feasible.

Would It be possible to use a simple (geared) DC motor as a Servo with the use off an Arduino + V2.3 motor shield ? . Off course it would be necessary to attach a potentiometer to the main shaft and connect it to an analog Input. So more precise the question would be : is there any software arond that can do the job?

There could be several ways to operate the servo:

1 manual (with an other pot.) 2 automatic (programmed) 3 by an rc servo signal

Thanks vonk

I don't know anything about that shield, but on youtube there are projects that make big servos from large motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpqsvw2iTIo

That could be done. If you want it to respond to a "normal" [u]servo pluse[/u], that could be tricky. But simple clockwise/counterclockwise motor control (based on the position-pot) would be simple.

1 manual (with an other pot.)

If you are using an Arduino, the Arduino's ADC can "read" the position of a pot.

2 automatic (programmed)

Once you have the servo attached to the Arduino and working, that's just a matter of programming.

3 by an rc servo signal

Easy with the appropriate hardware! :D

So more precise the question would be : is there any software arond that can do the job?

There are servo libraries if you make your servo respond to the normal servo-control pulses. If you so it some other way, you'll have to develop your own software.

On the input side, there are examples using a pot. I'm not sure what's out there for RC control.\