Curie Neurons from the 101 - Why no publicity ? Will there be a kbf builder ?

Hi,

Firstly well done foe an amazing product - the 101. what I cant understand is why there isnt much publicity regarding the built in hardware neural network ! I managed to go to the web site of the manufacturer and purchase the Arduino Libs for controlling the NN. The question I have is, is Intel going to provide any docs/support for the NN side ? For example are you going to be including examples to run from ArdIDE, or docs to get started ? You are really missing out on an amazing feature here, why ?

My real support question though is - I just bought the arduino libs (curie nueron pro libs) and I'd like to be able to use a Knowledge Builder Suites to create a kbf in order to train my 101's NN. How can I download a copy for windows 10 from General Vision ?

Thanks

why there isnt much publicity

Cause there's no documentation, and the only SW that supports the NN is something you have to buy? (ok, The price seems pretty reasonable - about $20.)

How can I download a copy for windows 10 from General Vision ?

Ask them?

"Cause there's no documentation, and the only SW that supports the NN is something you have to buy? "

I'm asking Intel why they don't use the NN aspects in order to promote the capabilities of the board, I doubt they spent all that time and effort incorporating the NN features and hardware, as well as interfacing to it, then release the board and decide not to publicise it because nobody wants to write a document on how to use it.

Yeah in fact, I can imagine the conversation at Intel...

"Lets add a NN to the 101, there is nothing like it for the price range, and it will revolutionise the capability of cheap MCs."

"Wow what an amazing idea, OK it will cost us $200k, and be quite difficult as it's never been done before, but OK we are Intel we have the capability...."

6 months later

"We did it....yeah, the 101 has a hardware neural network, with 128 nodes, capable of utilising either a Radial Basis Function (RBF) or the K-Nearest Neighbor (KNN) classifier."

"Heh Actually, let's not tell anyone that the 101 has a NN though."

"What ! Why is that ?"

"Well I'm an engineer, and I hate writing documents and support. Imagine having to spend a week writing a word document on how to use the NN. Come on, you can't expect me to write that. Not to mention hanging around on all those forums, talking to "other engineers", yuk."

"Actually yeah ok, writing docs is worse than testing, you're right let's keep it secret."

"Besides, to use it you have to pay $19 for the library."

"OMG Who will pay $19 for software libs to use a board that cost $30 ?"

"Exactly, especially one you can probably bit torrent as they have no protection. Let's pretend it doesn't have one."

"Deal, whew that was close, now back to my hidden work pen. See you in another 3 years !"

Nah, I get the impression that there are Big Players who have adequate documentation under tight NDA agreements (like General Vision themselves.) Intel just doesn't seem to grasp that this "Maker Movement" that they claim to be targeting consists of a lot of small and individual players that don't/can't/won't do the whole NDA thing. Which is a shame...

Hi Marcus,
an open source library for interfacing with the Pattern Matching Engine is here, documentation is ongoing but it will arrive quite soon.