Debugging Nano 33 iot issues

Hello,

I am super excited regarding the debugging feature the new IDE has. For me this is a reason to invest on arduino. This is why I purchased a nano 33 iot. But I am having some issues.

I am simply trying to "debug" the blink sketch , but I can't.

I compile/ upload the sketch to the nano, which blinks, and get 3 issues:

#1: on the top of debug window I get: No Configurations
and a launch.json file is opened with the following:

{
  // Use IntelliSense to learn about possible attributes.
  // Hover to view descriptions of existing attributes.
  "version": "0.2.0",
  "configurations": []
}

#2: In the Notifications I get: Failed to launch OpenOCD GDB Server: Timeout.

#3: In the Cortex Peripherals I get: Unable to load SVD file: Not specified

I have tried to google and search the forums and stuff but information on the debug issue is scarce to sayt the least. Additionally whatever info I got was for different configurations and above my level..

Could someone explain what could be the issue? In as simple English as possible : ) ?
Thank you community!!

You should start the debugger by clicking the "Start Debugging" icon on the top bar of the Arduino IDE, not by clicking the one on the side bar

Do you have a CMSIS-DAP compliant debug probe connected to the SWD test pads on the bottom of the Nano 33 IoT board?

Thank you!

1st point taken..

2nd point.. Err... Nope. : )
I thought "support out of the box" meant no debugger.. The only thing I have right now is this:
https://www.amazon.com/FT232H-Multifunction-High-Speed-CJMCU-Module/dp/B07L15J1F9

Will it do? Any guides on how to connect?
If not what is a cheap alternative? Or any alternative if a cheap one is not handy..? Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about this FT232H. It looks interesting though.

This is the SWD pinout on the Nano 33 IoT:
Nano 33 IoT SWD
Most debug probes use a standardized 2x5 0.05" pitch connector. You will want a way to easily make the connections between the two. The 0.05" pitch is not friendly to jumper wires. You can get adapters like this one:

You can see the pinout of the connector is labeled on the adapter, so it's only a matter of making the connections between the board and the cable.

I have used a a 0.1" pitch 2x3 POGO adapter pressed down on the test pads on the Nano 33 IoT for making a short term connection to burn the bootloader, but for the longer term connections you would certainly want for debugging you will find that is not feasible. It would be super cool to have a jig like this, but you might decide to go with the most simple solution and just solder wires to the test points.

I use this little open source debugger:

I'm really happy with it.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.