Detecting acceleration

I have an idea for a small project and need a little guidance. I want to trigger a switch to do an undisclosed function when the car accelerates from a stop. From what I've seen on accelerometers, they seem to only measure tilt on each axis. Can they also be used to measure acceleration along a plane?

Thanks!

Accelerometers measure acceleration along 1 to 3 axes.
Most are 3D and there are many to choose from.

Thanks for the response. I think I may have not expressed my question properly.

I see that all those accelerometers measure movement around an axis. Al the demonstrations on Youtube show people tilting them and getting readings.

I want to know if held flat and accelerated in a certain direction like a car would, can it be used to measure acceleration?

I'm interested in linear acceleration rather than angular. Is this the right kind of device to use or is there something else?

It measures linear acceleration on 3 axis. Yes you can use a single axis. You could also use something like a tilt switch that is basically a metal ball that would break contact when you move.

Al the demonstrations on Youtube show people tilting them and getting readings.

A tilt sensor is one of the many possible applications of an accelerometer. Accelerometers measure the acceleration due to the Earth's gravity in addition to accelerations due to other forces.

Thanks! I'm new to accelerometers and just wanted to make sure.
I also considered the tilt sensor. I'll check into that in the interest of keeping it simple.