Difference between cell phone battery and single LiPo cell ?

Hello,

I have a 3.7V LiPo battery from a Nokia phone.

It looks like this:

Besides the appearance, is there any technical difference with the "usual" LiPo batteries with JST connectors (such as this one) you can see on many Arduino projects ? Would it be possible to solder a JST connector to it and use it on Arduino projects like the others ?

Thank you in advance.

That is a lithium ion cell, which is different from LiPo and safer to charge/discharge. The package may have some protection circuity inside it, but you can certainly use it.

LiIon cells must be properly charged and discharged or, without the protection circuitry, they will very quickly be destroyed.

Thanks jremington.

Sorry, I had no picture of the actual model I have at home and had not seen the "Li-ion" inscription on the picture's cell. The one I have has the text "Li-pol" written over it instead. Therefore, do the information from your message still apply ?

By the way, why are there three contacts instead of only two ?

One of the three contacts on cells like that is usually connected to a thermistor, to sense the cell temperature during recharge.

LiPo batteries can burst into flames if not properly charged, so you are on your own.

LiPo is the least safe form of lithium ion battery, but they are all lithium ion. The phone battery will have built in chip that limits current, senses and cuts off for over/under voltage, and measures temperature and possibly keeps track of the state-of-charge. The third contact is likely a serial data connection for talking to the phone's OS, though it might be just a thermistor. You probably have to sign a non-disclosure to find out any details though.

Phone's also(*) don't use LiPo because they have very short lifetimes compared to graphite based lithium ion - they would like to because they have higher specific energies.

(*) they explode, often.