EEML vs WSDL

Hello,

I’m currently doing a project which aims to develop an Arduino platform that uses some form of “web-services” to provide for automated discovery of network sensors. The ideal outcome should allow an Arduino based sensor to be added to a network and for it to automatically describe itself to the rest of the network.

I have created a temperature sensor which is connected to the internet with an ethernet shield. My main questions are these:

Is it possible to achieve something like this with Web Services Description Language (WSDL)?

Is a language like Extended Environments Markup Language (EEML) better suited to this?

If it is possible with either how might this be achieved?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Jacko,
Arduino (with 328) has 2KB of RAM, so don’t expect text/xml processing from it.
Just send the temperature etc from Arduino to PC (on serial port) and let the PC deal with web services and stuff.

The Arduino has no problem dealing with text processing, especially with intelligent use of strings stored in PROGMEM. If you use an Ethernet Shield instead of an XPort, the space is pretty cramped but using a 328 chip helps.

There’s a few examples in these forums involving XML and the Arduino.

It’s definitely worth the effort to avoid having a giant, power hungry PC attached to every sensor.

Look at this “giant, power hungry PC”:
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/roboard.aspx?a=blog