Electric guitar bluetooth dongle

Hello !

I want to connect my electric guitar to my smartphone via Bluetooth. I saw the Jamboree Purpletooth that seems to meet my needs, but I’m a total newbie, and I’m not sure about how to use it or even if it is suitable for what I want to do.

What I thought was to plug the guitar to the mic-in input (via an adaptator) and directly send the signal untouched to my smartphone.

Do you think it is possible ? Or should I think about an Arduino-based solution ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

The output of a guitar is not really audio. It's not the same as a microphone. While some simple circuitry like the Jamboree will get an input into a microphone jack, it won't sound like the guitar sound you hear from the guitar amp.

I suggest you look into solutions that the musicians use. They may seem expensive and complicated but they will be more musical.

I agree. If you connect an electric guitar to a standard stereo system, what you hear is a good representation of what is coming right out of the guitar. And it stinks.

Everything in the path from the pickup to the speaker is designed to modify the sound. And I’m not just effects pedals. From the frequency response of the preamps and the manner in which they clip, the frequency response and clipping of the output amps, to the speaker’s frequency response, the effect of the box it is in, and the frequency and phase dependent nature of it.

OK thanks for your responses !

What if I used an app on my phone to serve as an amp ? Or maybe I could use/make a pre-amp before the board ?

Yes.

A (passive) guitar needs to see a high impedance input. 1 megohm is common. Mic inputs and line inputs are a lot less than that, and therefore crunch the sound. Use a powered preamp/stompbox/pedal between guitar and line in. Leo..

You can do many guitar effects in software. It might take a bit to figure out what kinds of things to do to the signal to simulate things like preamp distortion, speaker distortion, the affect that the speaker box has on the sound, etc.

There are also guitar leads with a USB plug at the end. Inside that plug is the preamp and A/D converter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Bass-6-5mm-To-USB-Link-Connection-Instrument-Cable-adapter-PC-Recording-/190978823054 Leo..

What I really want to do is to leave all the effect/distorsion work to the smartphone, and the sole purpose of the bluetooth dongle would be to connect guitar to some kind of virtual amp on my smartphone.

What components should I need to build such a dongle? Would it be possible with an Arduino-based board? Or with the Purpletooth I already shown?

Another question: you said to me that the signal coming out of an electric guitar "stinks", sorry if I don't really understand, but in what is it really different from a microphone input?

Thanks a lot !

jade_winter: Another question: you said to me that the signal coming out of an electric guitar "stinks", sorry if I don't really understand, but in what is it really different from a microphone input?

As already explained in post #5, a guitar needs to see a high input impedance. A microphone input can't provide that.

The input impedance (resistance) of a microphone input is ~250 times too low.

The input impedance AND the guitar lead make a guitar sound like a guitar.

Leo..

An Op Amp can be wired as a buffer to the preamp and will have a very high input impedance if done correctly.

We shouldn't overstate this, however. 50k to 100k is good.

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/30-OHMS_AND_IMPEDANCE_FROM_THE_INPUT_PERSPECTIVE.html

HIGH Impedance, such as most electric guitar and bass pickups and instruments, some (usually lower priced) Microphones (some can be low impedance, check the specs), most effects boxes, most preamps and instrument "processors" (stomp boxes), some of which may have both low and high impedance output jacks. "High" is probably the most common input impedance value in our musical input world, and the generic term "high impedance" is used quite often.

High Impedance devices are most often (but not only) found plugged into high impedance ¼ inch phone jack inputs in instrument amplifiers, PA boards, effects boxes, preamplifiers, etc. Input impedance values vary, but some typical values are 44K, 220K, 60K (usually active) and 800K, 100K (typically passive). It's ok to plug high impedance instruments and devices into ultrahigh impedance (1MegOhm and higher) inputs.