ESP32 with AVRISP MKII

I have just got some ESP32 dev boards, I have noticed that I cannot use my AVRISP MKII programmer when selecting any of the ESP32 boards, in fact, selecting any ESP32 board results in no programmers being displayed. It is like they are not available to be selected.

This may be deliberate (the ESP modules don't have the ICSP connector), although the chip has all the pins required to use this programmer, and I have just made up a circuit board to connect the pins to a ISCP header, so I should be able to program it this way.

Can anyone tell me:
a) If I have missed something in order to be able to select a programmer? ; or
b) Is there any hack I can do in order to use this programmer? ; or
c) Are there any plans to include programmer support for these boards?

Thanks, Mike.

ESP32 is not AVR and doesn"t have ISP support. It can be flashed only over Serial.

I agree with Juraj, but I think it's strange that selecting an ESP32 board makes the programmers disappear for you. That is a good behavior in this specific case since they can't be used, but that doesn't happen for me.

Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

Which version of the Arduino core for the ESP32 are you using?

How did you install the Arduino core for the ESP32?

Sorry for my late reply, I don't seem to be getting email notifications.

I am using the latest IDE, since I updated it thinking it might solve the 'problem'.

I do understand it's not ATMEL or AVR, I just assumed the flashing would follow the same guidelines.

It's not a big deal, I guess, although those buttons are so small it's beginning to hurt my finger every time I have to flash it, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

As soon as I figure out OTA I will modify the system to use ftp, if I can.

doesn't the board have USB with autoreset?

It has a USB connector, but it doesn't auto-reset.

At least not for me.

I wired up some headers on a perf board with and ICSP header thinking I could flash it this way, only to find no programmer option in the IDE (I use visual micro for visual studio, mainly because I am a slave to autocomplete). It doesn't work with 'Upload using programmer' either from the arduino ide.

If it turns out it can be flashed via the AVRISP MkII, I am sure that option will materialise eventually.

Juraj:
ESP32 is not AVR and doesn"t have ISP support. It can be flashed only over Serial.

Although ESP32 does not have official support for ISP programming, you can flash it via SPI, but the procedure it's quite tricky and involves you thinkering a bit with the hardware and using SPIFFS on the master board that's programming the target.

hgpt:
Although ESP32 does not have official support for ISP programming, you can flash it via SPI, but the procedure it's quite tricky and involves you thinkering a bit with the hardware and using SPIFFS on the master board that's programming the target.

I want to know. explain. add links.