Ethernet Interface

I posted this question a few months ago in a different forum and received one reply which was confusing.

I want to add Ethernet to my Mega 2560 project. I want the RJ45 to be accessible at the back of my project box extending through the backplate but I would rather not have the 2560 there. A "remote" interface seems to be better for my application than a shield. Any ideas?

I am now at a point in my project where I am ready to implement an Ethernet capability.

One of the devices suggested was the WIZ850io. However, I wrote to their tech support and was informed that it does NOT come with a MAC address. It seems to me that this would make it unusable to the hobbiest community. So I am still looking.

I purchased some short cat6 extension cables from one of the China suppliers a few years back, it is about 10" long with a RJ45 mail on one end and a chassis mount RJ45 female on the other end. I purchased them for a project and they worked great. I do not remember how much but it was not that much. As far as the MAC address you supply it. It simply cannot match anything on your network. A lot of the sample code sets this up.

Do a Google image search for "panel mounted rj45". There are a variety of adaptors that allow the ethernet interface board to be located some distance away from the panel.

Unique hardware pre-assigned MAC addresses are only needed if you don't have control of what other devices will be plugged into the network, for example, a typical office scenario with people randomly plugging in computers, printers etc.

For a hobby application first you do a "site survey" to find out the MAC addresses of every device on your network, then you choose a MAC address that is unique to your network. (Your network router can usually be queried for a list of connected devices and their MAC addresses.)

the Ethernet library sets the MAC address. the examples have a example MAC address

Thank you all for your replies. I did not realize that we are allowed to create our own MAC addresses. After some searching I find that bit 1 in the most significant byte of a MAC address is the U/L bit: 1 = local, 0 = universal.

Now I have another problem/question. I attempted to compile the UPD example: UDPSendReceiveString.ino and I get the following warning:

In file included from C:_MyInstalls\Arduino\libraries\Ethernet\src\Dns.cpp:8:0:
C:_MyInstalls\Arduino\libraries\Ethernet\src\Dns.cpp: In member function ‘uint16_t DNSClient::BuildRequest(const char*)’:
C:_MyInstalls\Arduino\libraries\Ethernet\src\utility/w5100.h:457:25: warning: result of (256 << 8’) requires 18 bits to represent, but ‘int’ only has 16 bits [-Wshift-overflow=]
#define htons(x) ( (((x)<<8’)&0xFF00) | (((x)>>8’)&0xFF) )

C:\_MyInstalls\Arduino\libraries\Ethernet\src\Dns.cpp:164:18: note: in expansion of macro 'htons'
twoByteBuffer = htons(QUERY_FLAG | OPCODE_STANDARD_QUERY | RECURSION_DESIRED_FLAG);

NOTE: the apostrophe after the 8s is due to the emoticon I get without it!

What should I do? I always take warning seriously, it is too easy to ignore a warning and have it bite you later!

k3pto: What should I do? I always take warning seriously, it is too easy to ignore a warning and have it bite you later!

it is a warning. ignore it