Faucet with touch sensitive sensors

I've been working with Arduino for several years however haven't touched it in the past 2-3 years. Now I want to get back at it with an idea I had for a long time now.

I want to create a bathroom faucet using 2 X Solenoid-Valve-Water (hot cold water) and 2 X Linear Softpot sensors (must be waterproof). Then I want to add a temperature sensor to the faucet and an LCD screen that will show the temp of the water coming out. I want to add an on/off pressure sensor (waterproof) and LED's on each side of the linear softpots to show the level chosen by user.

Is this possible? If so,

• What kind of Solenoid-Valve-Water do you need and where can I get them from?
  • Where can I find a waterproof linear softpot sensor?
  • Where can I find a waterproof temperature sensor?
  • Are there any information or projects using water valves, softpot sensors, temperature sensors, lcd screen display output?

I would suggest that you find and talk with somebody knowledgable about plumbing and/or commercial/industrial control systems for water distribution. What you want to do can be done, but to do it right (so it doesn't leak everywhere or blow out while you are on vacation - plus there are code issues to deal with here, especially if you are doing this to a house you own - you'll want to make it so you can re-sell it without having to rip things back out again) will require the proper parts, all of which do exist.

You'll also want to find - either local or online (local is best - they may be able to help advise you), a supplier for the parts; you won't be able to just run down to Lowes or Home Depot for these parts (or if you do find them, they're already part of something similar to what you are wanting to build, and thus are going to have a markup).

Lastly - a cold water solenoid won't work for hot water unless it is rated for the temperature; keep this in mind, because you might be tempted to use two cold water solenoids (cold water parts tend to be cheaper - much cheaper in certain cases) - but that will fail over time. Another thing to keep in mind is future repair needs; make sure whatever you buy is easy to repair/replace in the future (without having to rip everything apart - except in the case of replacement, of course), and that parts are easily and readily available - in fact, you might want to purchase repair kits at the same time or soon after you have the system installed, because someday you -will- be repairing it.

Good luck with the project.

:slight_smile:

Yeah - make sure this is fool proof so you don't flood the house by accident. I'd be very wary of doing something like this which potentially could be a pretty terrible insurance claim (probably also not covered by insurance as you modified it yourself)

I don't know if this solenoid will work with Arduino.

Here are the solenoids I got:

Specs: 120V 60Hz 10W, Can't find any other info about it...

Pictures:

Antennas are also a great idea but will they work in a humid and wet environment? I wanted sofpot's since they are waterproof and would be easy to clean.

How would I go about manipulating a solenoid that need more power? The ones I have need 120V yet the arduino is much less!

What about adding an IR sensor in front of the faucet to reset all settings when nothing is in front of it? Also do you have any examples of this antenna thing?

I am looking for a solid state relays and found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-State-Relay-SSR-25DA-25A-250V-3-32VDC-/120730001188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c119f24#ht_2691wt_905
Solid State Relay SSR-25DA 25A/250V 3-32VDC/24-380VAC
Input voltage:3-32VDC
Output voltage:24-380VAC
Output current:25A
Working voltage:250V
On voltage:?1V
One-off Time:?10ms
Off leakage Current??2mA

Will this work for my 120V 60Hz 10W solenoid?

I think Touchless kitchen faucets are best choice . Touchless kitchen faucets are one of the best evolutions within the faucet market. Not only are they much more hygienic than your standard faucet, reducing the need for cleaning from fingerprints and other aspects of unsightliness, they also can look fantastic and sleek as it can eliminate the need for a handle if you wish to do so. They also happen to run off with the current configurations for numerous faucets already on the market, which makes their installation a breeze as well.