Feasible to produce a simple CPU/GPU temperature monitor?

I'm new to Arduino. I'm currently using one for a university project (building an oscilloscope), but that's a different matter. What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to use an Arduino to show my computer's CPU and GPU temperatures (and possibly other data, such as usage and clock speeds) on an LCD display, using Python code on the computer?

I've found a couple of articles online about monitoring CPU temperatures, but most used a temperature sensor rather than reading data from the computer, and the one I could find that DID read from the computer went far beyond what I'd like to do. I can produce relatively basic Python programs and know very little about programming an Arduino (although I am a quick learner), so I'm wondering if this is possible without using very complicated code.

Furthermore, if it is feasible, how much harder would it be to display it on an OLED display? I wouldn't be able to fit all of the information I would ideally like to display on a 2x16 LCD. Specifically, I was looking at an OLED display currently on Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ilsoftltd/colour-oled-breakout-board?ref=category) because it seems like an ideal display, if it wouldn't be too hard to do what I want to do.

Also, if I was looking to pick up a beginner's Arduino kit in the UK, what would you guys recommend? I am considering the kit available on the Arduino store, but at around £100 shipped, it's quite pricey.

Thanks guys.

I think that all the data you requested should be accessible, but how to access it would depend what operating system you're running - you would need to implement some sort of application on the PC to collect this data from the various sources and send it to the Arduino for display. On the Arduino side you'd need to write a sketch that received the data from the serial port, formatted it and printed it to the display. It all sounds feasible and not [u]especially[/u] difficult, but not trivial either.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm on Windows 7.

I'm fairly confident that I can write some code to send the data to the Arduino, and then display it on an LCD.

The problem from what I can see is collecting that data in the first place. How difficult would that be?

Firereign: The problem from what I can see is collecting that data in the first place. How difficult would that be?

Certainly non-trivial, likely a bunch of system calls, perhaps to BIOS level. Take a look at the open hardware monitor: http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ - it'll let you see what's involved.

Firereign: The problem from what I can see is collecting that data in the first place. How difficult would that be?

That depends how comfortable you are writing Windows applications. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to collect all the data you mentioned from a specific PC - you'd just need to do some creative Googling to find out how to retrieve each metric. Writing an application which did this generically on an arbitrary PC would likely be a lot harder, but I don't think that's what you're trying to do here.