Flood Monitoring System Using Arduino

Good day!

I am an IT student here in the Philippines, me and my groupmates finished our document about the Flood Monitoring System that sends warning messages. Now all we have to do is create the system and implement it in a certain street. Now my concern is... is it really possible if we use the water level sensors for flood monitoring and implement it for the benefit of the people who lives in flood prone area? We need your kind help good sir/ma'am. A reply to this article is very much appreciated. Thank you

A detailed description of the system is required. What water levelnsensors are you using? What are you measuring and how are the measurements done? What is the output of the system? Which Arduino?

is it really possible if we use the water level sensors for flood monitoring and implement it for the benefit of the people who lives in flood prone area?

Yes.

How do you plan to send warning messages?

I'm confused. Sounds like you already designed it....

finished our document about the Flood Monitoring System that sends warning messages

So it doesn't make sense to me that you're asking this...

is it really possible

Or was the document you already wrote just an assessment of the need, not the actual design?

Hey there !

One could use a water level sensor to detect the level of water and it is really easy to make.

However there sure are a lot of sensors you can use related to water detection.

Still it's really good that you people are building such a good project and I wish you best lucks!

In short Yes you can use a water level sensor.

Shiven_Sharma:
In short Yes you can use a water level sensor.

The real question is not the possibility, but the feasibility, ie the practicality. They need to be designed and positioned in such a way that they don't get damaged and stolen etc. They need to detect huge ranges of water depth. And can they work underwater...

What's a "flood"? A road may be 100-200mm deep in water because the storm drains can't cope with a sudden heavy shower, but will clear in 30min or so, or the same street 3m deep and everyone's swimming for a week?

This is one of those projects which will be a piece of piss to do in the lab, but a right bugger in the real world.

That OP says...

Justanotherprogrammer:
Now all we have to do is create the system and implement it

... shows the difference between IT and Engineering students.

gwareloth:
... shows the difference between IT and Engineering students.

I thought the T in IT had to do with "technology" which is quite close to "engineering".
Now if OP had been an MBA student of sorts... then that kind of remarks should be expected :slight_smile:

wvmarle:
I thought the T in IT had to do with "technology" which is quite close to "engineering".

It's the technology as it relates to information, so maybe a bit about modems and disk systems and server farms and stuff, all in an aircon'ed data centre. But in my 40y work experience, "IT" means programming and web site design and PC support of the "have you tried turning it off and on again?" level. It's got bugger all to do with the real world practicalities of getting a sensor 2m off the ground up a pole to shout "yeah this is a real one, guys".

But let's have that chat somewhere else, and not dilute OP's appeal for help.

I'm really keen to know what's in the document they already did: is it a requirements spec type of doc, or a design? Or what?

Probably OP, as so many first-time posters, couldn't be bothered with reading the forum guidelines, or if they did follow the instructions given in it for getting help.

For good help, OP has to provide LOTS of information, for starters a link to the mysterious article they want comments on. Specific questions are also part of the game. As long as that doesn't happen, all we can do is make a lot of fun out of OP but they're not going to get much use out of it.

I am an Information Technology student not an Engineer... we will be sending the warning messages through the mobile app for each water the sensor has detected. We already have the document but our work was not properly verified by our panel but we have the scope and limitation of our system complete and signed by our panelists. And our project goal is to help a certain barangay who are at risk when it comes to flooding so we will donate it to them after the system is fully compeleted. Please we need you expertise sir/ma'am. Thanksss

Please we need you expertise sir/ma'am.

In order to receive that expertise, you will need to answer the questions that have been posted by interested forum members, as completely and clearly as possible.

It would help if you first gave us your paper or a list of points from your paper with details about how you want to go about this system.
If i was your teacher and you approached me with the info you have given i would tell you to to show me this ‘paper’ you refer to.

Things that are NEED TO KNOW

What type of sensor do you intend to use?
How do the sensors relate to the rising water? Eg. Will they just detect water or will they show the level of water.
How does your system get its power? Eg. Mains, battery, solar charged battery. Zero point energy cell?
How will it send data and to where?
Will it use wires or wireless.
Will this system work in the area you will fit it to.
How far apart will the sensors be.
Will this be sent to a central point or will data be sent to multiple phone apps?

I could go on and on with this list of questions so you see how helping you ar this stage is impossible.
Could not even recomend an Arduino to start with (not my strong point having only ‘Played’ with Unos) on the info you have given.

An example of what you have said so far is if i said to you.

I have writen a paper on how to build a drink dispenser, can you tell me how to build it!
Could you help me with only this information? I couldn’t.

Tell us more.

Daz

Okay so we have a web based system that will be used as a server and a mobile app. We are going to connect a water sensor brick in the arduino as a measurement of flood. If the flood has reached let say 2 feet. The sensor will send a signal to the arduino that will directly send to the server and the server will create a message such as "prepare for evacuation". We are not sure yet if we have a budget for going wireless. We do know the system will work in the area they barangay captain even gave us data about the flooding in their streets. The data will be sent to those who downloaded the app...

If you have any suggestions of some sort I am willing to go ahead and read on to it.

P.S
I am very sorry for the misclarifications I am just a newbie at this forum and to the Arduino so do pardon my poor explanations. Do be patient with me sir/ma'am

Indeed.
Again no link to the paper you refer to, and which probably contains a lot of the information needed.
No link to the app you intend to use.
No info on possible flood levels or other physical/real world parameters.
No info on what parameters should trigger an alarm.
Without all that info, we'll just sit and wait. Typhoon season is coming, so if you wait long enough there won't be a need for a flood warning any more because all have been washed away. That's of course a solution in itself.
I can't help to notice the casual "we will donate it to them". This is not a system you can just "donate" as the physical implementation and construction and day-to-day operation is at least if not more important than the IT bit behind it. The IT part is actually dead easy: "we detected a flood is coming, now go and send out warnings". The actual flood detection part is key of course, and that's probably done by an array of specific sensors placed at carefully chosen locations within the area you want to monitor, in conjunction with past, current and forecast weather data, and likely some sensors placed further afield e.g. in rivers leading to the place at risk.
You have to implement a way (preferably wired, if that really can't work wireless) to have these sensors communicate with a central point.
You need a way to remotely detect whether those sensors are operational.
You need to have a power source for those sensors.
You need to have people go and test those sensors on a regular basis (every month or so at the least), and perform maintenance and do repairs as needed.
You need a source of financing to pay for all those people, to pay for the repairs, to pay for the upkeep of the computer systems, to pay for the power used by it, etc.
There are probably several non-IT related issues with this that I haven't though of yet, but which are important to make it work and continue to work for years to come.

Justanotherprogrammer:
If the flood has reached let say 2 feet. The sensor will send a signal to the arduino that will directly send to the server and the server will create a message such as "prepare for evacuation".

If it reaches that level, and is expected to rise, shouldn't the evacuation have been completed already? Evacuating through thigh-deep, rising, and probably fast flowing water doesn't sound like the safest thing to do to me. Unless you have a boat.

Still no link to the paper!

I'm sorry I can't send the paper my leader won't allow it. The app is being developed as of now so is the web based system... But I will answer questions. Kindly list down the questions please and I will answer them the best I can. Thank you.

A quick search of “float switch” found loads of examples, and this site looks quite helpful.

There are numerous styles of switch, and it seems to me you could mount some like the pic inside a vertical pipe open at bottom and top. The switches could be say 100 or 150mm apart vertically up to say 1m, and as the water rises in the street (and thus in the open pipe) the switches trigger in turn. The wires would all run up the side of the pipe to the Arduino on the top (in some kind of waterproof box like a Tupperware), and each switch goes to a different input.

typical float switch.GIF

You would know the depth of the water (within the resolution of the distance between the switches of course) at any time, and can also, with the use of some timing and comparisons, know how fast it’s rising or subsiding.

If I were you, I’d get hold of a 44 gallon / 200 or whatever litre drum, a length of drain pipe, and 3 or 4 float switches. Drill the pipe to take the switches, and stick the pipe in the drum. Hook the switches to some Arduino pins, and fill the drum as a test-bed to see how this whole thing works.

That will at least show your proof of concept.

In fact to test the concept, you don’t even need float switches. You could just mount a bunch of normal switches on a stick and “pretend” the water is toggling them in turn as it rises and falls.

toggle switch.GIF

Justanotherprogrammer:
But I will answer questions. Kindly list down the questions please and I will answer them the best I can. Thank you.

Well... then start replying to all the questions/concerns listed already!

And another thought.... assuming you go the route of testing float switches on a pipe in a drum, you don't need to empty and refill the drum. You can just lift the pipe out of a full drum and drop it back in, to mimic the rising and falling of the water. Relatively speaking, if the water moves compared to the pipe or the pipe moves vs the water, it's the same thing. As long as you're switching your switches, you have a test.