Fonts

Hi guys
I have put together a 24 hour clock with a Arduino UNO a Freetronics DMD and a RTC
Basically I am happy with the clock as it keeps pretty good time but I am not 100% happy with the font display showing the number 5 it just doesn’t look right to me
I am using the Arial14.h font and the display of the number 5 is distorted. I have had a look through the Arial14.h file but I don’t understand how the coding(?) works.
Would anyone like to point me in the right direction? Or suggest an alternative font?
I have tried Arial16 but it doesn’t fit on a single DMD. I have included a photo of the clock display sorry about the quality but I had to place a sheet of paper over the display otherwise I couldn’t get a clear enough picture.

clock.jpg

I don’t know the “Freetronics DMD” display. After I search it in the google, I found this page:

In this page there are a link to “Dot Matrix Display Driver library (software, example and demo program, install notes) on github”

In this resources I found a “Arial14.h”. This to say that I don’t know if is this file that you are talking about, but in mine, in the header comment it say “created with FontCreator”. Did you try to find this application?

A few weeks ago, I had the same problem that you and I found this:
https://code.google.com/p/glcd-arduino/downloads/detail?name=GLCDFontCreator2.zip&can=2&q=

and this:

I keep the first because I’m using Linux. (when I saw the file “Arial14.h” I recognize the layout of the file)

Thanks for replying have seen and I am using the Arial14.h from the website a do have used another file from another website uti have the same problem. Have tried editing the Arial14.h file but made a bigger mess. I will keep trying.

Adrian

I think I can help you

Take for example number 0. In ASCII, it's decimal value is 48. Now look in the font file, where it say "//48". Convert these hex numbers of this line, into binary, using the Windows calculator or whatever.

It gives this:

You see the pattern? If not, remove the zeroes:

Combine the first half with the second half, you got your 0, (rotated to 90° for some reasons) ;)

1        1
   1        1
   1        1
   1        1

Do the same thing for the 5 now, fix the "drawing" as you like, then convert back from bin to hex, tadaa it's fixed ;)

Can you try the file attached?

LiberationSans14.h (9.99 KB)

Thanks for your help and the file, it works perfectly.
I will have to get the uni books out again as I haven’t touched bin/hex/ASCII in 25 years and see if I can create or modify font files.

Anyway I have attached a picture of the new improved clock that will go on my radio shack wall :slight_smile:

Adrian

I used one of the applications of the reply #1. I send you the file that the application give me. If you change "by hand" the 96 characters inside one of those files you will have work for 2 weeks, or so, and you will end with a "piece of garbage".