Fully Arduino Quad copter (NO "FLIGHTCONTROLER") Having trouble with the code

Hello everyone I am in the process of making a quad copter out of just an arduino and what I mean by that is I have an MPU I plan to use the brains of it all will be an UNO R3, I am building my own controller. I do not want to use someone else's software like multwii. I wanted to make a bare bones flight controller from the arduino IDE After tons of research I have only found one other person who has done this. I have tried to study his code but there is not much documentation to it and threre is not much comenting well not enough for me to understand. I am fairly new to arduino I would say I've been messing around with it for 3 months and what better way to learn arduino IDE than to take on such a big project...Yeah, I understand I am insane.

Never the less I would really appreciate if you all could look at the code that I have written and give me some feed back. I have been able to tie my drone down and get it to lift off the ground about 7in~18cm off the ground. I have been able to make it roll to the right and pitch forward both were in different variations of code and then I tried to make it so i can pitch and roll to either side and now... Nothing works. Now all I can do is get it to lift off the ground. I am trying to fix this at the moment. This is as close to the code I could get to when I could make the drone Pitch forward. I think I have the code pretty well commented. and I have pictures attached. If you have any questions let me know. As of right now the joysticks are hardwired to the UNO R3. I also have not yet implemented the MPU.

Here is my code

/* The Quad is set up like this *Note: I call them esc's but they represent the motors in my code*
 *     (Front)
 * esc1     esc2
 *    \     /
 *     \   /
 *      [ ]       (Rightside)
 *     /   \
 *    /     \
 * esc3     esc4
 *     (Back)
 */
#include<Servo.h>           //Include The servo library for the functions used

Servo esc1;                  //Declare the ESC's as a Servo Object
Servo esc2;
Servo esc3;
Servo esc4;
int lift;
int roll;
int MAX;
int pitch;

void setup()

{

esc1.attach(11); esc2.attach(10); esc3.attach(6); esc4.attach(5);    //Attach the ESC's to PWM Pins

Serial.begin(9600);       //Begin Reading/Open Serial Monitor
}

void loop() 
{ 

lift=analogRead(A0);         //Value of analog input on pin A0, which controls the LIFT or "ELEVATION" which is the Y direnction on joystick(1)
  pitch=analogRead(A1);        //Value of analog input on pin A1, which controls the ROLL which is the X direnction on joystick(2) 
  roll=analogRead(A2);          //Value of analog input on pin A2, which controls the PITCH which is the Y direnction on joystick(2)
  MAX=160;                                  //This value is 160 insead of 180 because one of my ESC's freaks out past this value
  lift=map(analogRead(A0), 0, 1023, 0, 160); //Map the input values from the joystick on analog pin 0 to  correspond to max and min values
                                             //for the servo output: 180 and 0

esc1.write(lift); esc2.write(lift); esc3.write(lift); esc4.write(lift); //this will cause the ESC's spin acording to the position of
                                                                          //Joystick(1) in the Y direction
                Serial.print("LIFT: ");
                Serial.println(lift);       //Print the value of the lift this should be 80 (nutral possition of joystick(1)) to 160
     delay(1);

if (pitch > 515){                                       //If the anolog value coming from Joystick(2) in the Y direction is grater than 515
                                                        //execute following statment *Note:The values on the if statements are above or bellow
                                                        //511.5 because my joysticks tend to fluctuate at the nutral or standard position so 
                                                        //placing the values that cause the if statments to "turn on" above or bellow the
                                                        //fluctuating point will ensure that the if statment does not "turn on" unless I have
                                                        //actually moved the joystick 

lift=map(analogRead(A0), 0, 1023, 0, 160);            //Map for the LIFT values as stated above (not sure this is nessecary to state again)
  pitch=map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, lift, (lift-50));  //The map for the Pitch values from the standard position (not touching the joystick)
                                                        //being the same as the lift value to "lift minus 50" 50 is just a number I chose so
                                                        //I could be able to see the effect on the motor without putting the propellers on

esc1.write(pitch); esc2.write(pitch);                 //This line and the one bellow it are saying; cause the front 2 ESC's or MOTORS to
                                                        //slow down bases on the PITCH value and keep the back/rear motors spining at
                                                        //whatever the lift values are
  esc3.write(lift); esc4.write(lift);                   

}

//The rest of the if statemnts just a repeat of the code above taylored for the pitch in the rear direction,Roll to the left side, and Roll to the right side

if (pitch < 509){                                       
  pitch=analogRead(A1);
  lift=map(analogRead(A0), 0, 1023, 0, 160);
  pitch=map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, lift, (lift-50));
  esc1.write(lift); esc2.write(lift);
  esc3.write(pitch); esc4.write(pitch);
}

if (roll > 515) {
  roll=analogRead(A2);
  roll=map(analogRead(A2), 0, 1023, lift, (lift-50));
  esc1.write(lift); esc2.write(roll);
  esc3.write(lift); esc4.write(roll);
}

if (roll < 509) {
  roll=analogRead(A2);
  roll=map(analogRead(A2), 0, 1023, lift, (lift-50));
  esc1.write(roll); esc2.write(lift);
  esc3.write(roll); esc4.write(lift);
  }

}

It would be much simpler to calculate your base 'lift' value from the throttle on A0, and modify this per motor depending on the values from pitch (A1) and roll (A2).

E.g. assuming that positive 'pitch' reading means tilt forward, and positive roll reading means tilt right (some mapping of input values would be required to achieve this of course).

M1 (front left) = lift - pitch + roll
M2 (front right) = lift - pitch - roll
M3 (back left) = lift + pitch + roll
M4 (back right) = lift + pitch - roll

This will also allow you to pitch and roll at the same time which it not possible in your code.

It's probably worth starting with the gryo/accel part of things though without it I think you will struggle to fly the quadcopter at all.

There are many examples online of people doing this (assuming I understand your aim correctly) if you search for 'diy arduino flightcontroller' or 'arduino flightcontroller from scratch' or something like that.

For your fully-manual flight controller the code would look like this:

/* The Quad is set up like this *Note: I call them esc's but they represent the motors in my code*

(Front)
   esc1     esc2
      \     /
       \   /
        [ ]       (Rightside)
       /   \
      /     \
   esc3     esc4
       (Back)
*/
#include <Servo.h>           //Include The servo library for the functions used

Servo esc1;                  //Declare the ESC's as a Servo Object
Servo esc2;
Servo esc3;
Servo esc4;

const int ControlRate = 50;  // Maximum rate of pitch and roll
const int MinMicroseconds = 1000;
const int MaxMicroseconds = 2000;

void setup()
{
  esc1.attach(11, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);
  esc2.attach(10, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);
  esc3.attach(6, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);
  esc4.attach(5, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);    //Attach the ESC's to Pins (they don't have to be PWM pins)

Serial.begin(9600);       //Begin Reading/Open Serial Monitor
}

void loop()
{
  int lift = map(analogRead(A0), 0, 1023, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);
  int roll = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, -ControlRate, +ControlRate);
  int pitch  = map(analogRead(A2), 0, 1023, -ControlRate, +ControlRate);
  // Once you decide which motors are CW and which arr CCW you can add yaw control
  //int yaw =  = map(analogRead(A3), 0, 1023, -ControlRate, +ControlRate);

int speedFL = constrain(lift - pitch + roll, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);
  int speedFR = constrain(lift - pitch - roll, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);
  int speedBL = constrain(lift + pitch + roll, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);
  int speedBR = constrain(lift + pitch - roll, MinMicroseconds, MaxMicroseconds);

esc1.writeMicroseconds(speedFL); 
  esc2.writeMicroseconds(speedFR); 
  esc3.writeMicroseconds(speedBL); 
  esc4.writeMicroseconds(speedBR);
}