GPS with Arduino

I'm currently doing a school project whereby the robot follows the user wherever they go. As of now, me and my team came up with the idea of using GPS to allow the robot to track the user's location. Example, say if the robot and the transmitter held by the user loses connection. It will use GPS tracker to track the user's location then automatically returns to the user. But we haven't the faintest clue of how to interface the GPS receiver with Arduino mega.
We did some research before this but the most detailed one we could find was using a TCP server to receive coordinates from the MySQL database. But the server requires Python programming language which we aren't familiar with. I hope I can find some help here.

Alysia:
As of now, me and my team came up with the idea of using GPS to allow the robot to track the user's location

Are you aware that the GPS will only work out of doors ?

srnet:

No, I'm not aware of that. As I've said, we don't really have an idea of how to input it into Arduino plus we only started learning the basics of Arduino about 6 months ago. Could you elaborate what you mean by 'out of doors'?

srnet:

If you meant it by literally outdoors then I understand. Our 'robot' is actually meant to be a kind of storage that holds the users belongings when they leave the house. So yes, technically it is meant to be used outside buildings.

For parsing the GPS information, take a look at my NeoGPS library. It is smaller, faster, more reliable and more accurate than all other libraries, and the examples are properly structured. The library includes methods for calculating distance and bearing very accurately. Once you choose how to communicate between the rover and the "owner", you can send the target coordinates to the other platform (rover to owner, or owner to rover).

NeoGPS is available from the Arduino IDE Library Manager, under the menu Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries.

Even if you don't use it, there is lots of information on the Installation and Troubleshooting pages. Be sure the read the section about choosing a serial port.

-dev:
For parsing the GPS information, take a look at my NeoGPS library. It is smaller, faster, more reliable and more accurate than all other libraries, and the examples are properly structured. The library includes methods for calculating distance and bearing very accurately. Once you choose how to communicate between the rover and the "owner", you can send the target coordinates to the other platform (rover to owner, or owner to rover).

NeoGPS is available from the Arduino IDE Library Manager, under the menu Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries.

Even if you don't use it, there is lots of information on the Installation and Troubleshooting pages. Be sure the read the section about choosing a serial port.

Thank you so much!