Guitar Playing Robot!?

Hello all.

I have a ridiculous and pointless idea to create a robot that plays guitar. I know, I could just download music, but it would be SOO much fun! I have a few questions.

I am thinking of a hand mounted on a linear rail for the fingering hand, and probably use 4 servos for each finger (pricey, I know). For the other hand, I am thinking of just a simple vertical rail with a small amount of flex in the fingers holding the pick. Additionally, it would move out or in to strum or not strum or pick.

Is this feasible? Is it absolutely absurd? Is it an interesting project I should pursue? Any ideas for modifications to the design?

Tyler

Totally doable but not quite as you describe. Try not to think of a human doing the playing. Do you play? The hand movements needed require a pretty high degree of dexterity and aren't really in the realm of even the best of robot hands. Think instead of laying the guitar on its back and having an array of actuators that simply move up and down to press on the strings. For the plucking of the strings think harpsichord.

Delta_G:
Totally doable but not quite as you describe. Try not to think of a human doing the playing. Do you play? The hand movements needed require a pretty high degree of dexterity and aren't really in the realm of even the best of robot hands. Think instead of laying the guitar on its back and having an array of actuators that simply move up and down to press on the strings. For the plucking of the strings think harpsichord.

I have been trying to teach myself for a while and have recently picked it up at a much better pace than I ever have. So, is your suggestion something like 6 solenoids each placed along some sort of linear actuator? What about bar chords with pick offs or other techniques where more than one finger are on the same string for a short period of time?

Look around google and youtube, there have been several guitar playing robots built in the past.

I was thinking more like a set of six rows of five or 6 solenoids so they don't have to move around to make a chord. So something like 30 solenoids in all. That could cover the first five frets for all six strings. Then you just have to choose which ones to activate to make a given chord. After that's working you could possibly rig the whole thing to move up and down the neck of the guitar to work on more frets, but it will be tricky as the frets get closer together the further up the neck you go. It may end up requiring a whole host of solenoids for each fret and each string all the way up.

Here's one that looks interesting: Guitar-playing robot - YouTube

This one is just damn cool! Compressorhead Ace of Spades - YouTube Plus they are playing Motorhead. Notice the difference between the guitar and the bass player. Yeah, bass is a lot easier and is usually played by guys who couldn't handle the guitar (Les Claypool excepted) The bass player kind of has hands but he doesn't need to have near the dexterity.

This one is pretty impressive in what it can play: Russian ROBOT GUITAR. Tico-Tico - YouTube

Look around, there are tons more. But they all seem to have this same basic design.

And if the robot you build still can't play the guitar, you can always try this... LOL

And there's always this. I don't know if it counts, but my kid thinks they're really robots.

That’s all a lot of solenoids. Maybe I’ll just hire daft punk instead…lol