Having 2 air pumps work by turn with arduino

Ok so for my project I have two air pumps with an attached vacuums. On air pump #1, i will attach a tube on the pump. on air pump #2, i will attach the tube to the vacuum. basically i want the air pump (#1) to work for 5 seconds, and then to turn off. then i want the vaacumn (air pump #2) to work for 5 seconds while the other one is off. i want this to run as long as the switch is on because i want a baloon to inflate and deflate with these. (they require 12v)

how would my code look like? can i add delays so it would work? can i set up my arduino and circuit to cut off power in turns?

i am new to this

picture of pump is attatched below

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 2.39.08 PM.png

gurleenn:
Ok so for my project I have two air pumps with an attached vacuums. On air pump #1, i will attach a tube on the pump. on air pump #2, i will attach the tube to the vacuum. basically i want the air pump (#1) to work for 5 seconds, and then to turn off. then i want the vaacumn (air pump #2) to work for 5 seconds while the other one is off. i want this to run as long as the switch is on because i want a baloon to inflate and deflate with these. (they require 12v)

how would my code look like? can i add delays so it would work? can i set up my arduino and circuit to cut off power in turns?

i am new to this

picture of pump is attatched below

By not telling us how much current your pumps need to start up, I can only suggest you use relays rated for the unknown current.

As far as your code looking, look at the example for doing many things at a time. Your code will look like that, but from a long distance.

Paul

okay
how would i know how much current they need?

a 12v battery pack is enough to make it work

gurleenn:
okay
how would i know how much current they need?

a 12v battery pack is enough to make it work

If it’s not written on the motor/pump. check where you got them, and if still no luck Google the motor or pump name/model number. If no joy, measure the current when they run and double it to get a starting current.

First, get your plan and all the hardware to work with simple off/on manual switches.

Paul

Post a link to the web page of the pump seller, it could possibly have (doubtful though), the needed information.

Hi,
Ops pump.
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 2.39.08 PM.png

Ok so for my project I have two air pumps with an attached vacuums. On air pump #1, i will attach a tube on the pump. on air pump #2, i will attach the tube to the vacuum. basically i want the air pump (#1) to work for 5 seconds, and then to turn off. then i want the vacuum (air pump #2) to work for 5 seconds while the other one is off. i want this to run as long as the switch is on because i want a balloon to inflate and deflate with these. (they require 12v)

So;

• You have two pumps.
  • One pump will inflate a balloon for 5 seconds.
  • One pump will deflate the balloon for 5 seconds.
  • This will cycle as long as a switch is turned ON.

Note, the pump is a vacuum pump but will pump positive and negative pressure.
Will it produce enough for your project?

Features:

1. This is a DC 24V mini vacuum pump.
  2. Made of high quality material, it is durable and has good performance.
  3. The filling time do not excess 5 seconds, quick and convenient.
  4. The pump has high efficiency, low noise and long service life.
  5. Widely used in massage chairs, leg machines, massage belts and other small appliances products

Specification:
Condition: 100% Brand New
Rated Voltage: DC 24V
Filling Time: < 5 seconds (from 0 to 300mmHg in 500CC airtight container.)
Maximum Pressure: > 625 mmHg (80KPa)
Maximum Vacuum: < -375mmhg (-50kpa)
Air Tightness: <10 Mmhg/minute (air tightness only for air inflation)
Flow: >13.0 L/Min
Noise: <60dB
Weight: Approx. 301g / 10.6oz
Size: Approx. 12 * 5.8 * 3.5cm / 4.7 * 2.3 * 1.4in

In typical Amazon fashion they tell you everything except the essential details.

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?
Can you tell us EXACTLY what you project is for?

Have you measured how much pressure you are going to need to inflate the balloon?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

gurleenn:

If you always want complete cycles, you can use delays and simple sequenctial programming. Pseudo code

void loop()
{
  if button is pressed
  {
    pump 1 on
    delay 5 seconds
    pump 1 off
    pump 2 on
    delay 5 seconds
    pump 2 off
  }
}

If you need to stop the process immediately when the button is released or have a need for other stuff to run independently, you will need another approach; read up on millis() based timing and finite state machines.

Yeah, the pumps are enough. I just need two baloons to inflate and deflate because they will act as lungs for my project. i have tested them directly with a battery and its enough for the balloons. I have like no experience in this field as im in gr11.

with that given code, how would my circuit generally look like? do i need relays or something

gurleenn:
Yeah, the pumps are enough. I just need two baloons to inflate and deflate because they will act as lungs for my project. i have tested them directly with a battery and its enough for the balloons. I have like no experience in this field as im in gr11.

with that given code, how would my circuit generally look like? do i need relays or something

Mosfets would be ideal for your project, but until you can tell us the current required to start the pump motors, relays are the answer.

Paul

got it, thank you. any tips as to how my circuit would generally look? like how would i set everything up.

Could look something like https://www.gammon.com.au/motors