Just wanted to provide a final update for this. The 2 new HC-05s I ordered (NOT from DSD Tech, who STILL has yet to reply to my request for support after nearly 72 hours now!!!) arrived this morning. I plugged them into ground and 5V and immediately was able to see them via my phone. I was also able to obtain a proper (correct) address for one of them and successfully bound the slave to the master. I then successfully got the two talking to each other (determined by the blink pattern on both; I haven’t gotten actual results yet but I believe that is due to my code having errors, not the modules themselves).
One possible problem with the first two modules I tested from DSD-Tech: I left the “EN” left plugged into 5V when I was trying to get them to communicate with each other, so that may have caused the problem. Not sure if that would also affect the erroneous address I was getting back from the AT command mode, or the fact I couldn’t see them on my phone, but it’s possible.
Thanks to all who contributed!