Help DTMF in Arduino?

Hello,,,

I hope that I am in the right place to be.. So I have my new project that I want to work on which basicly was to use a DTMF module with an Arduino to control a door. I call on my phone a specific number "15" as example and the DTMF module recieves it trhough another phone and the Arduino is going to read the code and give command to open the door... So I thought it won't be too hard to find it out. ( i am a beginner ).

So I went out and wanted to get the stuff I thought I needed. I couldn't get a DTMF decoder (no IC nor the module).. It might come over a while.. But the guy said to me I am pretty sure the Arduino itself has an option to do the DTMF Decoding. So I looked up on the net ( still looking ) and I found some things about DTMF in Arduino but couldn't understand it much... Cuz it was just the coding and not an example/guide..

So my question is: Am I able to turn the arduino itself into a DTMF decoder and do what I said above? And if so can you give me more information/explain or share places to look on?

If there is a way I don't want to wait till the 8870 arrives..

Google "arduino dtmf decoder" (or use the forum search) to find this thread.

Read it carefully and if you still don't understand how to use it, post specific questions on the forum.

We recommend that beginners work through the simple projects that come with the Arduino software. Learn to crawl before you try to run!

jremington: Google "arduino dtmf decoder" (or use the forum search) to find this thread.

Read it carefully and if you still don't understand how to use it, post specific questions on the forum.

We recommend that beginners work through the simple projects that come with the Arduino software. Learn to crawl before you try to run!

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly the topic I talked about which I didn't udnerstand fully.. But I might try it again.

But as I really want to know now is can we use the arduino as a DTMF decoder as I described above? If so I will strive to that goal if you understand me.. And learn waht I need to learn.

Yes, the Arduino can be programmed to decode DTMF signals.

I actually have one last important question,

If we use the Arduino as Decoder, does it differ a lot wit the actualy 8870 decoder? Like is it slower / faster? Have any idea on that? Or is it basicly the same?