HELP NEEDED! NodeMCU in Arduino IDE + WS2812B LED Strip

Hi all,

I need some help getting my LED strip to work. It just stays on stock white. I have tried everything I can think of. I tried to different sections of LEDs and I've also tried two different microcontrollers. I've tried using different pins on both the microcontrollers, and still nothing. I am trying to use Neopixel and fast led(not at the same time). I have the microcontroller(NodeMCU) interfaced with Arduino IDE perfectly, no problem there. I also have a 680 ohm resistor on the data line, as well as A 1000 UF capacitor between the 5 V supply and the ground. I have looked all over the Internet and cannot find a solution for my problem, any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Jeff

NeoPixels powered by 5v require a 5V data signal. If using a 3.3V microcontroller you must use a logic level shifter

Make sure you read this

(Writing out WS2812 data requires some pretty tight timing which is a mess if you have lots of them and interrupts constraints - like WiFi - I have moved to a 4-wire led chipset, like the APA102)

Thanks for the reply,

Turns out I wasn’t hooking the board up properly. Through trial and error, I figured out that small clusters of WS2812 LEDs CAN be controlled at 5V with a 3.3V signal (tried with a strip of 5 LEDs), but longer lengths won’t act properly (tried with 177 LEDs). Looks like I’m going to eBay for some 74AHCT125 IC modules, thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Jeff