How can I check if the NodeMCU ESP32 is connected to WiFi from an external source?

I have a Website that runs on Angular and Firebase. A NodeMCU ESP32 and a bunch of sensors communicate to the firebase Real-Time Database (RTDB) to send over data.

As part of the troubleshooting system, I would like to check if the NodeMCU is connected to WiFi. I have read up on the suggestion of trying to ping the device. So I printed out the IP address using:

Serial.println(WiFi.localIP());

In the cmd terminal, I then type: ping ipaddress but I get nothing in return as it cannot find the device.

So how might I go about checking if the device is connected to WiFi?

Thanks!

Whereas it is relatively simple for a ESP32 node to initiate a communication, via a WLAN, to an internet based host to deliver data etc., it is not always so easy for an internet based host to initiate a communication with a node, in this case your ESP32, within a private WLAN.

Can the ESP regularly publish its status in such a way that you can read it for your troubleshooting activity ?

What, precisely, is the error message?
What is the IP of the ESP32 and what is the IP of your PC?

The error message:

ping 192.168.1.246

Pinging 192.168.1.246 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.246:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

The IP address of the ESP32 is different to the IP address of my PC

Ah that's interesting. I suppose that is the alternative, I will try to figure out a way to somehow check the timings of the updates completed by the nodemcu on firebase. Thanks!

What is the IP address of the PC?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.