How can I read what is coming to the SCL/SDA from I2C on arduino board

I have a flow sensor connected to arduino UNO,

SDA to SDA

SCL to SCL

my goal for now is to be able to see the data the sensor is outputting through I2C which uses the SDA/SCL pins.

Default I2C address is 07HEX. The device will respond only to this address.
Pull-up resistors to VDD are required.

Output Data for sensor
Number of bytes to read out:2
First returned byte: MSB
Second returned byte: LSB

Conversion to SLPM for the data outputted
Flow in SLPM = [(MSB << 8 ) + LSB] / 1000

Ideally, it would sound something like this:

Flow through sensor, sensor outputs data while theres flow. Arduino board reads data, converts it to respective units and display it on serial monitor

so i am trying to program the UNO to read the sensor through I2C but i am lost

If anyone has any idea for anything or even where to push me towards the right direction i would appreciate it.

It's a little unclear what you need the help with?

Reading the sensor? Look at some I2C examples where the master reads a slave. There also might be an Arduino library for your sensor.

Or the math part which you already solved as far as I can see?

Or both?

sergy3:
My goal for now is to be able to see the data the sensor is outputting through I2C which uses the SDA/SCL pins.

The sensor should only be 'outputting' data when you ask the Arduino to actually read it.

So when the program reads the data from the sensor, print it to the serial monitor.

sergy3:

So are we. Why are you keeping the "sensor" a secrete?

There are countless examples on line for using Arduino to read sensors connected via I2C.

Please do some research before posting again, and be sure to read How to use this forum first.

This is how you go–
1. Create I2C Bus and enable Serial Monitor by including the following lines at the appropriate place of the sketch.

#include<Wire.h>
Wire.begin();
Serial.begin(9600);

2. Check that the sensor is present in the I2C Bus by including the following lines at the appropriate place of the sketch:

Wire.beginTransmission(7);
byte busStatus = Wire.endTransmission();
if(busStatus !=0)
{
    Serial.print("Sensor is not found...!");
    while(1); //wait for ever
}
Serial.print("Sensor is  present.");

3. Read 2-byte data from the sensor by by including the following lines at the appropriate place of the sketch.

Wire.requestFrom(7, 2);
int SLPM = ((Wire.read()<<8)|Wire.read())/1000;   //edit:

4. Show the valueof SLPM on Serial Monitor by including the following lines at the appropriate place of the sketch.

Serial.print(SLPM);
delay(1000);   //test interval

GolamMostafa:
This is how you go--

A bold statement without know what sensor is in use or reading its datasheet.

gfvalvo:
A bold statement without know what sensor is in use or reading its datasheet.

The OP has already given the computation formula.

GolamMostafa:
The OP has already given the computation formula.

... But not the protocol for retrieving data from the "sensor". Do you need to trigger a "sense" operation before retrieving the data? Does the sensor provide multiple reading types? Do you need to send a register address first? Does it support the "repeated start" convention? Does it support auto-increment to read multiple registers per I2C transaction? Does it support 100 KHz clock rate or higher?

Bottom line -- a good engineer would never say "this is how you do it" without first reading the datasheet.

1.... But not the protocol for retrieving data from the "sensor".
It is given -- the I2C Bus.

2. Do you need to trigger a "sense" operation before retrieving the data?
The question is not well understood.

3. Does the sensor provide multiple reading types?
Yes! The sensor sends 2-byte data with MSByte first.

4. Do you need to send a register address first?
The question would raise if the given tentative approach does not give rational result.

5. Does it support the "repeated start" convention?
The sensor is a passive I2C device having (probably) no processor. It is also probable that the I2C Bus does not contain any other processor that can attempt to acquire the Bus and thus interrupts the data transaction between the I2C Master and sensor.

6. Does it support auto-increment to read multiple registers per I2C transaction?
In general, all passive I2C sensors/devices support auto-increment.

7. Does it support 100 KHz clock rate or higher?
This is the standard I2C speed.

8. Bottom line -- a good engineer would never say "this is how you do it" without first reading the datasheet.

Paraphrase: a good engineer would say "this is how you should try it taking utmost care for the safety of yourself and major equipments" when all other advices/efforts seem to be not helping/working.

You will not get ANY useful advice until you post a link to the device product page or data sheet.

After, of course, reading How to use this forum.

GolamMostafa:
3. Read 2-byte data from the sensor by by including the following lines at the appropriate place of the sketch.

Wire.requestFrom(7, 2);

int SLPM = ((Wire.read<<8)|Wire.read)/1000;

That’s not how you read two bytes (MSB then LSB).

First, it’s Wire.read(), not Wire.read. The latter takes the address of the Wire.read function.

Second, the compiler doesn’t guarantee any order of evaluation of the functions in that expression. The compiler is free to call the two Wire.read()s in either order. If the compiler chooses the “wrong” order (the one the programmer doesn’t “expect”), then the second Wire.read() is called first and the first one second, which effectively treats the first byte as the LSB and the second byte as the MSB. You need to call Wire.read() in two separate statements (separated by sequence points). Try something like this:

Wire.requestFrom(7, 2);
int SLPM = Wire.read()<<8; // MSB
SLPM |= Wire.read(); // LSB
float f = SLPM / 1000.0; // preserve the fractional part

christop:
The compiler is free to call the two Wire.read()s in either order. If the compiler chooses the "wrong" order (the one the programmer doesn't "expect"), then the second Wire.read() is called first and the first one second, which effectively treats the first byte as the LSB and the second byte as the MSB. You need to call Wire.read() in two separate statements (separated by sequence points). Try something like this:

Is the evaluation not from left to right? This document of Microsoft says that "Precedence and associativity" of Bitwise-inclusive-OR (|) operator is from 'left to right'. I believe that the Compiler writers adhere to this rule.

Therefore, the following expression should provide unambiguous result:

int SLPM = ((Wire.read()<<8)|Wire.read())/1000;

Nope, associativity and order of evaluation are two separate issues. Associativity is how the result is computed by the operators (left-to-right or right-to-left). Order of evaluation is the order in which subexpressions are evaluated. The two are not necessarily the same. A compiler must adhere to the associativity rules but there are no rules for order of evaluation (the order of evaluation is unspecified).

Order of evaluation

That means a compiler can evaluate subexpressions (such as Wire.read()) in any order that makes sense to the compiler.