how do i Interface arduino and visual basic 2010 (serial communication)

Hello all i am trying to interface my arduino project with visual basic via serial communication.
I have gotten my visual basic program to write to my ardunio successfully. However, i want to allow my
visual basic program to read the incoming serial data from the arduino this i am having problems on.
I have searched the internet for about 5 days looking for a solution or good tutorial to visual basic and serial communication
but have been unfortunately unable to find anything good.

My visual basic code

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Arduino.IsOpen Then
Dim bob As String = Arduino.ReadLine()
If bob = 9 Then
maintankhigh.Visible = False
Else
Arduino.Open()
End If
End If
End Sub
Private Sub Feed_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Feed.Click
If Arduino.IsOpen Then

Arduino.Write(7)
End If
End Sub
//other unrelated code does here
End Class

My arduino is currently setup to send a one digit number like "3" when a switch is activated aka put in the closed position

Thank You for your help

you don't have to search all the internet, just look in these forums, everything is here. i might make a youtube video tutorial on how to set it up, good idea.

here's a way to receive data, it's an event that gets called when data arrives at the com port:

Sub EventHandler(sender As Object, e As System.IO.Ports.SerialDataReceivedEventArgs) Handles Arduino.DataReceived

Dim datareceived As Boolean = False
        Dim recStr as String = ""

While Not datareceived

Dim recVal As Integer
            recVal = Arduino.ReadByte()
            If recVal = 10 Or recVal = 13 Then
                datareceived = True
            Else
                recStr = recStr + Chr(recVal)
            End If

End While

End Sub

at the end, recStr contains the string sent by Serial.println(), it MUST be println() and not print(), otherwise the receiving will get caught in endlessly receiving (untill you send ascii 10 or 13 (NL and CR))

Dim bob As String = Arduino.ReadLine()

So, bob is a String.

If bob = 9 Then

9 is not a String, so the test will never be true.

Steen:
i might make a youtube video tutorial on how to set it up, good idea.

Let me know i will be interested all the videos i found were in other languages

I am still trying to get this to work with not luck is there anyway someone can make a example script for the arduino with a simple switch and visual basic to know when that switch is pushed

thank you that would greatly help me and then i can just mold my project based on that

Here is a pretty simple one. When you push the button the input from the Arduino shows up in the immediate window. just make a form with a button

Public Class Form1

Public readstr As String
    Function getCom() As String
        readstr = ""

If SerialPort1.IsOpen = True Then
            SerialPort1.Close()
            SerialPort1.Open()
            readstr = SerialPort1.ReadLine
            Debug.Print(readstr)
            getCom = readstr
        End If
    End Function
    Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        SerialPort1.BaudRate = 9600
        SerialPort1.Parity = 0
        SerialPort1.StopBits = IO.Ports.StopBits.One
        SerialPort1.DataBits = 8
        SerialPort1.PortName = "com7"
        SerialPort1.Open()
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
       dim bob as string
       bob = Me.getCom()
        Debug.Print(bob)
       'put your code to translate to an integer here
    End Sub

End Class