How do you say "Solder"?

I have been watching some Make magazine vodcasts over the last few weeks and I was appalled at how everyone appears to pronounce the word “solder”. As I have been very close to solder over much of my life it has a special attraction for me.

So it appears that, some at least, of our American Cousins pronounce the word as “sod-er” as opposed to the correct :wink: “sole - der”

How do you pronounce it?

As Churchill said:-
“Two peoples separated by a common language”

[edit]
:o http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/En-uk-solder.ogg[/edit]

Excellent, I didn’t think of looking that up in that way. :slight_smile:

You see to an English ear it does sound more like “sod her” which is what many a disappointed lad says at the end of an unsuccessful night on the pull.

Good thing your not also very close to aluminium. :wink:

And I believe it was George Bernard Shaw who made your quote. True nonetheless.

“Solder” rhymes with “fodder” and “film” has only one syllable :wink:

i say “löten”

“Sold Ah”, thats how its said down under … mate = )

solder/fodder - and yes, I’m American

Yal aren’t from round here, are ya? Yal sound like a bunch of dam yankees. The word is pronounced saw-da.

Lovingly from Texas,
Brian

Why do people think it’s a silent “L” ???

sol-der

Why do people think it’s a silent “L” ???

Gee, I don’t know . . . “talk,” “walk,” “half,”, “calf”
Maybe we should ask the Colonel?

I say “saw-der” when saying “soldering iron” but I say “sold-er” when saying “solder”. I was raised in the south, so I say it like “saw-der” more often, though.

You should hear how I pronounce it when I solder with my shorts on and a fleck lands on my leg :wink:

Lefty

Sold-er. How else would you pronounce “Sold” ?!

Sole-duh

The Colonel usually just delegates it to the left tenant.

Here in the netherlands we pronounce it “Sol Deer” or just “tin”

Gee, I don’t know . . . “talk,” “walk,” “half,”, “calf”

Just because there are a few examples of silent “L” doesn’t mean ALL of them are… :slight_smile:

Also I would pronounce the L to some extent in all of those words… they certainly don’t sound the same as if the L wasn’t there at all, which is the case with the solder/sodder argument.

I put my soldering iron in it’s hoLder, not it’s hodder.

Anyways I’m happy for everyone to pronounce it however they want, just interested in how the L became silent

Sold-er. How else would you pronounce “Sold” ?!

Are the syllables in English separated like that? In German you would separate them like “sol- der”, like in “sol- dat” (german word for soldier).
Perhaps from an linguistic kind of view there once was an “ou” like in “boulder” or “shoulder”?
Someone who knows around here?

saw-der, no L’s round here. Someone who was completely removed from the field of electronics would still attempt to read it as written and say sold-er.