How to enable GPIO06 to GPIO11 on ESP8266?

As shown in the attached figure, I would like to enable these GPIOs from 6 to 11 on NodeMCU ESO8266 12E, to use them as Digital I/Os (digital inputs or digital outputs, whatever). By default I can only use GPIO10 as Digital I/O. The others are inoperative.

How to enable GPIO06 to GPIO11 on ESP8266 to use them as Digital I/Os?

PS.: There is no connection scheme. I just want to make these pins work as digital I/Os.

Where is the code? Where is the schematic? Do you want input or output? How do you define enabled? How do you determine what is enabled and what is not enabled?

I am sorry about the many questions but at the moment I am confused.

Issue edited.

I believe that those are the pins used to connect the ESP8266 chip to the QSPI flash memory where the "user program" is stored. So they're not really usable as GPIO.

the esp8266 external flash memory (labeled SD) is connected to SPI interface on pins 6 to 8 with pin 11 as CS pin. Pins 9 and 10 are added for quad IO according to esp8266 data-sheet. In your schema and in Arduino core docs the pin 10 is CS and 9 and 11 are for QIO.

This pins are made accessible on board in your schema because this SPI bus (6, 7 ,8) can be used to connect an additional SPI device (with restrictions). And if esp8266 external flash is configured as DIO (double) instead of QIO (quad) the pins 9 and 10 can be used as gpio pins.

if esp8266 external flash is configured as DIO (double) instead of QIO (quad) the pins 9 and 10 can be used as gpio pins.

Oh! That’s neat - can you do that “on the fly”? Has anyone measured the performance impact?

westfw: Oh! That's neat - can you do that "on the fly"? Has anyone measured the performance impact?

I edited the comment. Some docs have io 10 as CS, some io 11.

I think that if the flash is wired QIO you can't use the QIO pins.

And you can connect an SPI device to the bus but the CS pin of flash is controlled by SDK.

https://arduino-esp8266.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference.html Note that some boards and modules (ESP-12ED, NodeMCU 1.0) also break out pins 9 and 11. These may be used as IO if flash chip works in DIO mode (as opposed to QIO, which is the default one).

https://arduino-esp8266.readthedocs.io/en/latest/libraries.html#spi This mode shares the SPI pins with the controller that reads the program code from flash and is controlled by a hardware arbiter (the flash has always higher priority). For this mode the CS will be controlled by hardware as you can’t handle the CS line with a GPIO, you never actually know when the arbiter is going to grant you access to the bus so you must let it handle CS automatically.

Ok Guys! I must find another way to do what I'm gonna do. Thanks for your help.

wBB: Ok Guys! I must find another way to do what I'm gonna do. Thanks for your help.

I2C io board

Maybe I'll make a new board with ESP8266 + Atmel 8bits MCU as Expander. Thanks!