How to set an accurate ADC sampling rate!

Hi everyone!!

I am a newbie with Arduino and I would need some help with ADC. In particular, I connected my Arduino Due with a Microphone from Adafruit and I want to read the values with a sampling frequency equal to 32 kHz, then I want to put in a buffer with 128 elements. I read that the function AnalogRead() is not "fast" enough to my purpose and I should use DMA but I am not confident with it. Could someone help me?

Super thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Depending on the manufacturing batch your uc comes from, there is a good chance that you'll have to calibrate the ADC peripheral for decent results. Atmel Application Note Analog-to-Digital Converter in the SAM3S4 details everything you need to make this calibration.
In order to get better results from this peripheral, these rules may apply:
*For conversion of periodic signals, add an RC filter with an RC time constant at least 10 times the frequency of the input signal,
*Select an ADC channel dedicated as a purging input. Connect it to ground through a small resistor (say 100 ohms) and sample that channel in between each channel you are interested in. This ensures that the ADC channel of interest is purged of residual charges between readings. The resistor is important to reduce current flow, but you want it small enough that the capacitor discharges in a reasonable time,
*Oversample and average as much as possible in regard to the sampling frequency you need, the number of enabled ADC channels and the maximum sampling frequency allowed,
*Power the board throughout the jack because the power supply from the USB cable might be very unstable,
*In case you have white noise at the ADC input (usually the case), you can improve 12-bit conversions into 16-bit conversions (see above Atmel Application Note).
*Using a PDC DMA gives you more time to apply results of calibration to a previous buffer of conversions while in parallel another buffer of conversions is filled by the DMA.

An example with ADC to DAC conversion with a PDC DMA:

/*********************************************************************************************************/
/*  44.1 KHz ADC conversions of A0 , idem for A1, triggered by Timer Counter 0 channel 1 TIOA1           */
/*  44.1 KHz DAC output on DAC0, idem for DAC1, triggered by Timer Counter 0 channel 2 TIOA2             */
/*********************************************************************************************************/

volatile uint8_t bufn, Oldbufn, bufn_dac;
const uint16_t bufsize = 128;            
const uint8_t bufnumber = 4;             
const uint8_t _bufnumber = bufnumber - 1;
volatile uint16_t buf[bufnumber][bufsize];        
void setup()
{

pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);  // For ADC debugging
  pinMode(12, OUTPUT);           // For DACC debugging

adc_setup();
  dac_setup();
  tc_adc_setup();
  tc_dac_setup();
}

void loop()
{

}

/*************  Configure adc_setup function  *******************/
void adc_setup() {

PMC->PMC_PCER1 |= PMC_PCER1_PID37;                    // ADC power ON

ADC->ADC_CR = ADC_CR_SWRST;                           // Reset ADC
  ADC->ADC_MR |=  ADC_MR_TRGEN_EN                       // Hardware trigger select
                  | ADC_MR_TRGSEL_ADC_TRIG2             // Trigger by TIOA1
                  | ADC_MR_PRESCAL(1);

// ADC->ADC_ACR = ADC_ACR_IBCTL(0b01);                 // For frequencies > 500 KHz

ADC->ADC_IDR = ~ADC_IDR_ENDRX;
  ADC->ADC_IER = ADC_IER_ENDRX;                         // End Of Conversion interrupt enable for channel 7
  //NVIC_SetPriority(ADC_IRQn, 0xFF);
  NVIC_EnableIRQ(ADC_IRQn);                             // Enable ADC interrupt
  ADC->ADC_CHER = ADC_CHER_CH6 | ADC_CHER_CH7;          // Enable Channels 7 = A0 and 6 = A1; Trigger frequency is multiplied by 2
                                                        // The sampling frequency for 1 channel times the number of channels !!

/*********  PDC/DMA  buffer filling sequence **********/
  ADC->ADC_RPR = (uint32_t)buf[2];                      // DMA buffer - First one will be buf[1]
  ADC->ADC_RCR = bufsize;
  ADC->ADC_RNPR = (uint32_t)buf[3];                     // next DMA buffer
  ADC->ADC_RNCR = bufsize;
  bufn = 3;
  ADC->ADC_PTCR |= ADC_PTCR_RXTEN;                      // Enable PDC Receiver channel request
  //ADC->ADC_CR = ADC_CR_START;
}

/*********  Call back function for ADC PDC/DMA **************/
void ADC_Handler () {

//if ( ADC->ADC_ISR & ADC_ISR_ENDRX) {               // Useless because the only one
  Oldbufn = bufn;

bufn = (bufn + 1) & _bufnumber;
  ADC->ADC_RNPR = (uint32_t)buf[bufn];
  ADC->ADC_RNCR = bufsize;

/*******************************************/
  boolean chsel;
  for (uint8_t i = 0; i < bufsize; i++) {
    buf[Oldbufn][i] |= chsel << 12;                    // Select alternatively DAC0 and DAC1
    chsel = !chsel;
  }

// Todo : digital filtering before DAC output

/*************************************************/
  // For debugging only
  static uint32_t Count;
  if (Count++ == 689) { //84000000/8/238/2/128  = ~689
    Count = 0;
    PIOB->PIO_ODSR ^= PIO_ODSR_P27;  // Toggle LED_BUILTIN every 1 Hz
  }
  /*************************************************/
  // }
}

/*************  Configure adc_setup function  *******************/
void dac_setup ()
{

PMC->PMC_PCER1 = PMC_PCER1_PID38;                   // DACC power ON

DACC->DACC_CR = DACC_CR_SWRST ;                     // Reset DACC
  DACC->DACC_MR = DACC_MR_TRGEN_EN                    // Hardware trigger select
                  | DACC_MR_TRGSEL(0b011)             // Trigger by TIOA2
                  | DACC_MR_TAG_EN                    // Output on DAC0 and DAC1
                  | DACC_MR_WORD_HALF                 
                  | DACC_MR_REFRESH (1)
                  | DACC_MR_STARTUP_8
                  | DACC_MR_MAXS;

DACC->DACC_ACR = DACC_ACR_IBCTLCH0(0b11) //0b10
                   | DACC_ACR_IBCTLCH1(0b11) // 0b10
                   | DACC_ACR_IBCTLDACCORE(0b01);

DACC->DACC_IDR = ~DACC_IDR_ENDTX;
  DACC->DACC_IER = DACC_IER_ENDTX;                    // TXBUFE works too !!!
  //NVIC_SetPriority(DACC_IRQn, 0xFF);
  NVIC_EnableIRQ(DACC_IRQn);
  DACC->DACC_CHER = DACC_CHER_CH0 | DACC_CHER_CH1;    // enable channels 1 = DAC1 and 0 = DAC0

/*************   configure PDC/DMA  for DAC *******************/
  DACC->DACC_TPR  = (uint32_t)buf[0];                 // DMA buffer
  DACC->DACC_TCR  = bufsize;
  DACC->DACC_TNPR = (uint32_t)buf[1];                 // next DMA buffer
  DACC->DACC_TNCR =  bufsize;
  bufn_dac = 1;
  DACC->DACC_PTCR = DACC_PTCR_TXTEN;                  // Enable PDC Transmit channel request

}

/*********  Call back function for DAC PDC/DMA **************/
void DACC_Handler() {   // DACC_ISR_HANDLER()         // move Sinus/PDC/DMA pointers to next buffer

//if ( DACC->DACC_ISR & DACC_ISR_ENDTX) {           // Useless because the only one

bufn_dac = (bufn_dac + 1) & _bufnumber;
  DACC->DACC_TNPR = (uint32_t)buf[bufn_dac];
  DACC->DACC_TNCR = bufsize;

/*****************************************/
  // For debugging only
  static uint32_t Count;
  if (Count++ == 689) { //84000000/8/119/128 = ~689
    Count = 0;
    PIOD->PIO_ODSR ^= PIO_ODSR_P8;  // Toggle LED_BUILTIN every 1 Hz
  }
  /****************************************/
  //}
}

/*******  Timer Counter 0 Channel 1 to generate PWM pulses thru TIOA1  for ADC ********/
void tc_adc_setup() { 

PMC->PMC_PCER0 |= PMC_PCER0_PID28;                      // TC1 power ON : Timer Counter 0 channel 1 IS TC1
  TC0->TC_CHANNEL[1].TC_CMR = TC_CMR_TCCLKS_TIMER_CLOCK2  // MCK/8, clk on rising edge
                              | TC_CMR_WAVE               // Waveform mode
                              | TC_CMR_WAVSEL_UP_RC       // UP mode with automatic trigger on RC Compare
                              | TC_CMR_ACPA_CLEAR         // Clear TIOA1 on RA compare match
                              | TC_CMR_ACPC_SET;          // Set TIOA1 on RC compare match

TC0->TC_CHANNEL[1].TC_RC = 238;  //<*********************  Frequency = (Mck/8)/TC_RC  Hz = 44.1 Hz
  TC0->TC_CHANNEL[1].TC_RA = 40;  //<********************   Any Duty cycle in between 1 and TC_RC

TC0->TC_CHANNEL[1].TC_CCR = TC_CCR_CLKEN;               // TC1 enable

}

/*******  Timer Counter 0 Channel 2 to generate PWM pulses thru TIOA2  for DACC ********/
void tc_dac_setup() { 

PMC->PMC_PCER0 |= PMC_PCER0_PID29;                      // TC2 power ON : Timer Counter 0 channel 2 IS TC2
  TC0->TC_CHANNEL[2].TC_CMR = TC_CMR_TCCLKS_TIMER_CLOCK2  // MCK/8, clk on rising edge
                              | TC_CMR_WAVE               // Waveform mode
                              | TC_CMR_WAVSEL_UP_RC       // UP mode with automatic trigger on RC Compare
                              | TC_CMR_ACPA_CLEAR         // Clear TIOA2 on RA compare match
                              | TC_CMR_ACPC_SET;          // Set TIOA2 on RC compare match

TC0->TC_CHANNEL[2].TC_RC = 119;  //<*********************  Frequency = (Mck/8)/TC_RC  Hz = 88.2 Hz
  TC0->TC_CHANNEL[2].TC_RA = 20;  //<********************   Any Duty cycle in between 1 and TC_RC

TC0->TC_CHANNEL[2].TC_CCR = TC_CCR_CLKEN;               // TC2 enable
  TC0->TC_BCR = TC_BCR_SYNC;                              // Synchro TC1 and TC2
}

Thank you for the quick reply. Could you please tell me the meaning for the following:
TC0->TC_CHANNEL[1].TC_RA = 40; //<******************** Any Duty cycle in between 1 and TC_RC ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.