How to Use Magnetic Lock with Arduino

I want to use an Arduino Mega to turn 2 Magnetic Locks on and off. I am not sure what to use to supply power and control the Mag Lock.

I bought these Mag Locks from Amazon for this project: FUGEST Electric Magnetic Electromagnetic Lock Flush Mount (350LB) Holding Force for Access Control Single Door 12V - 180KG - - Amazon.com

Any advice would be appreciated to do this project.

Thank You.

get a simple FET - anything labeled > 1A will do, and a diode. Or get a relais-card.

zwieblum:
Or get a relais-card.

What do you mean by "relais-card"?

What do you mean by "relais-card"?

Reay card.

Something like these:

Relay Card?

How would you use the FET and diode?

Which method would you suggest to use between the FET+Diode and the Relay Card?

Also, what voltages would I need to use to get everything to work?

Those locks need ~1/2 Amp some are 1Amp.

Your link says 12VDC.

Circuit C1 or F1 or B3 would work.

The magnetic lock would replace the motor.

After some research online, I do not know whether to use a MOSFET, transistor, or relay. I do not have experience with these and are looking for any suggestions.

Which will work the best and provide enough power?

Both work and have the drive capability to operate the magnetic lock.

Since this is not operating at high speeds, relay noise will not be a factor, suggest you use a relay.

Ude a LOGIC MOSFET, N-channel. That will be triggered by the Mega. Buy one that handles the current needed for the lock.

... and you could even use google to search for "FET as switch".

Actually, whilst you should use a logic-level FET (and forget the transistors) for the half Amp at which this is rated, you can use one of these:

When I look online for a part to buy what specifications do I look for?
Such as what voltage and amperage are necessary for this magnetic lock?

On the schematic in post #6, left of the title block are suggested part numbers that would work.

Three questions...

1. What power supply (voltage and amperage) would I need to power two of my magnetic locks?

2. What relay would I use to control both these magnetic locks with my Arduino and what electrical specifications (voltage and amperage) do I look for online when I search to buy the relay?

3. What else would I need to wire this circuit and how would I wire it?

Thank You.

As mentioned earlier, your lock needs 12VDC and from my experience, these need 1/2 to 1 amps.

A 12VDC @2amp or more power supply should be okay.

You can use a 12 volt relay that has a contact rating of least 2amps.

A kickback reversed biased diode across the lock magnet is needed, 1N4007 should work.

You may want to add a manual override switch for manual operation.

Nice to add a LED with 1k dropping resistor to the relay coil to give a visual indicator of pick voltage.

If you use a relay board, most will have the driver transistor and LED installed.

TWA2020:

1. What power supply (voltage and amperage) would I need to power two of my magnetic locks?

Perhaps you should read the description that you cited? (link corrected)

Voltage:DC 12V
Current:380-430mA

Two times that is 12 V at 1 Amp.

TWA2020:
2. What relay would I use to control both these magnetic locks with my Arduino and what electrical specifications (voltage and amperage) do I look for online when I search to buy the relay?

I did answer you in #11

TWA: you find yourself in a state known as "analysis paralysis".

Find the project hub. Find examples of working magnetic blocks. Use what they used. Do what they did.

A kick back diode was mentioned above. The technical term is commutating diode. Bottom line: find a project that uses them. If you don't, you can make it work but you can't make it last

... and maybe you should get a book on basic electronics ... and actually read it.