I need to measure (rotatary) angle to within .1 to .01 of a degree

I'm referring to the sector-angle resolution. Are there any sensors that I can use to get this kind of precision?

Look at rotary encoders and see if you can find one that will provide that resolution.

wade

That's pretty extreme (17cm and 1.7cm at 100metres) - maybe try one of the metrology companies?
Leitz? Mitutoyo?

So you need 3600 or 36000 pulses per revolution.

A quick Google search for rotary encoder 3600 ppr turns up a few choices, mostly in the $400-500 range.

The closest I could find to 36000 ppr is a 15-bit encoder (32768 ppr) for about $3500.

Perhaps you need a mechanical re-design so you can measure the angle more indirectly.

use a 1 to 100 gear ?

does mean something for the torque you need to deliver..

what is driving the angle?

Classic "XY problem".

Paul__B:
Classic "XY problem".

although I would agree, the question was simple and the answer is YES, they just cost a couple thousand dollars.

if the OP wants to offer what he is doing and why he thinks he needs that sort of resolution, maybe we can offer alternatives.
on the other hand, the cost may be a drop in the bucket for some wiz-bang gizmo.

A 2400 dpi mouse sensor sensing movement on a cylindrical surface with a 61mm radius should give you the required resolution

Put a $5 laser on the rotation axis and place a photo detector several meters away.

mikb55:
Put a $5 laser on the rotation axis and place a photo detector several meters away.

Kudos to that one!

Hi,
What is the application that requires this sort of precision?

Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
What is the application that requires this sort of precision?

Tom..... :slight_smile:

Space missions? :wink:

Hi,
Well the OP is living up to his name.

Tom.... :slight_smile: