I want to shock myself awake. (dog shock collar mod)

Hello, I’m trying to create a device that will literally shock me awake as an alarm clock.

I don’t know if Arduino is the right tool for this, so I’m looking for some guidance and recommendations.

Basically, I want to take a dog shock collar, wear that around my ankle, and have it shock me awake at a specified time each morning.

I want to do this because my alarm clocks aren’t enough to wake me up. I’ve tried everything. Even those “Sonic Boom” alarm clocks. They wake up everyone else in the house, but I somehow shut them off in my sleep or something. I’ve also tried those shaker pillow devices and a wristband that vibrates you awake. Still not enough. I need something with firepower.

I’m thinking that I can rig something up that activates the shock button on a remote-controlled shock collar like this one: (http://goo.gl/C5ZJuq)

There’s actually a product called Pavlok that claims to do this exact thing (Shock Clock WakeUp Trainer -Never Hit Snooze Again | Indiegogo), but it has lots of negative reviews.

I don’t own an Arduino and I’ve never done any projects with one, and I don’t own a shock collar, either. I’m just trying to get advice as to:

A) Is it possible for me to even create a time-activated wireless shock collar like I described?
B) Is Arduino the right device for this project? If not, what else could I possible use to achieve this?
C) Would rigging up something like this (- YouTube) be a better idea? I don’t know anything about electrical, so if I have to plug something into an outlet like this I’d probably electrocute myself. Also, I’m moving to China soon, and their outlets are different.

I wish I could be more helpful and show you the insides of the shock collar, but again, I haven’t bought one yet, and I’m trying to see if this is even worth attempting before I buy one.

Thanks.

What you want to do is quite possible.

However, you may not get many to help with a system as you propose due to possible side effects.

Weedpharma

Personally I'd recommend Mr Bean's hose alarm Bean's Special Alarm Clock! | Mr. Bean Official - YouTube
Less likely to burn yourself if something goes wrong.

But yes an arduino could do what you want. I'd start with the electronics in those elctronic tennis racket fly swatters. Runs off a battery and gives a small shock. You'd just need to change the manual button trigger to a time based trigger with the arduino.

Have you considered using a vibration motor [of this variety] instead of the electric shock? It would have less health concerns, while still satisfying the requirements of your alarm system.

@Weedpharma - Yeah, the safety is a concern.

@Acitta - That hose alarm actually looks awesome. I would make something like that if I knew how. That video gave me an idea. How would I go about setting up a modified version of the old "bucket of water falling on your head" gag, but instead just make it a cup of water that tips over and splashes me awake? I would seriously use that if I could build it into a functional alarm. The cup of water would have to be sitting on some kind of platform that releases a latch at a specific time, allowing the cup to spill over.

The problem with the flyswatter idea is that it would have to be touching my skin for it to work. Also, I'm not sure how I would convert that into something of a much smaller size.

@BlackLab - Yep, I've tried a couple different vibration things like that. The problem is that they're either too weak, or they get dampened by a pillow or sheet to the point that they don't wake me up.

Update

I brought up this question to my dad, and he seems to think he knows of a way to get my phone alarm to trigger a button press on the shock collar remote. I'm going to order the collar and see if he can set it up like he imagines. If I get it working, I'll post a video of it working for everyone's viewing pleasure.

lolcat:
There’s actually a product called Pavlok that claims to do this exact thing (Shock Clock WakeUp Trainer -Never Hit Snooze Again | Indiegogo), but it has lots of negative reviews.

There will be a reason for that.

lolcat:
I don’t own an Arduino and I’ve never done any projects with one, and I don’t own a shock collar, either. I’m just trying to get advice as to:

So, you need to go buy an Arduino now, before doing anything else.

If you want an alarm clock to wake you, you must not place it within reach of the bed.

go to bed earlier
do not drink hard drinks for 8 hours before bed.
no calcium, such as milk or ice cream 4 hours before bed.

get older. in a couple of decades, you should have no problem rising with the sun
as I understand, you get up at sun rise and use the bathroom
and you get older you get out of bed and go to the bathroom well before sun up
as you age more, you go to the bathroom well before sun up, then get out of bed at sun up....

the arduino water pail is very simple.
better yet is to use a hose with a sprayer, also very simple.

Bro, I don't know if you're gonna see this but...could you perhaps tell me how to do the shock collar alarm thing? I am a heavy sleeper, and waking up in the middle of the night to do homework is not easy.