IDE 2.0 rc5 Serial Monitor problems

The Serial Monitor has some major problems. I hope it is OK to put two problems with the same thingy in the same post. If not, I can modify to remove #2 and put it in a separate post.

1. As far as I can tell, it cannot be detached and be its own window. Therefore, it is quite small and, if enlarged, interferes with editing of the code in the top part of the window by making it quite small.

2. It does not scroll as new information is added. This is necessary!! New output needs to be able to be seen without constantly being on the mouse forcing scrolling by clicking. Refer to IDE 1.0 for proper operation of the Serial Monitor window. Just copy that. It was right the first time and, now, it is not right.

If I have missed something on this, I apologize. I tried to find any way to make these two things happen and failed.

Your topic was MOVED to its current forum category as it is more suitable than the original

Thanks for taking the time to give the Arduino IDE 2.0.0 release candidate a try and share your valuable feedback!

This is tracked by the Arduino IDE developers here:

Note the recent comment:

it's definitely in our roadmap and at the top of the list.

We are giving maximum priorities to bugs that compromise the standard usage, next will come performance and UX improvements, like this issue with the monitor. We already designed the new one that is gonna be a separate window like the serial plotter.

If you have a GitHub account, you can subscribe to that issue to get notifications of any new developments related to this subject.

The "autoscroll" behavior is configurable. In Arduino IDE 2.x, it is done by clicking this icon ("Toggle Autoscroll"):

Autoscroll is enabled by default, so it seems you must have clicked that icon at some point.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Serial Monitor misses a lot of data

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.