IDE "verify" button and "upload" button

hello I'm not sure what exactly the buttons do. I use IDE Arduino 0018. It works well and everything is OK. There are two buttons "verify" and "upload". It seems that the "verify" button makes .hex executable. It seems that the "upload" button makes .hex again and than "uploads" the board. It would be faster for me if the "upload" process didn't make the .hex again and used the previous generated one. (because I have slow pc).

You should move up to IDE 1.0.1. It only compiles (verifies) changes made since the previous verify.

CrossRoads:
You should move up to IDE 1.0.1. It only compiles (verifies) changes made since the previous verify.

I though that only applied to library files, but that the sketch itself is always compiled again with either a verify or upload command?

To the OP, there are several good reasons to use verify only. One is in the early stages of writing a sketch where you know there are bound to be compiler errors and just want to work through the errors. Verify also allows one to work on the sketch without even having to have a arduino board connected to the PC, something upload will not allow. And finally the best reason to use upload as the final step to loading the board, rather then using a prior compiled hex file, is that you will be sure to be working on the latest included files and core libraries with a fresh compile that you might have changed or upgraded to sense when you generated some hex file in the past.

CrossRoads: You should move up to IDE 1.0.1. It only compiles (verifies) changes made since the previous verify.

Really? I'll have to check it out. It's such a pain to upgrade. 0018 to 0022 wasn't bad. I didn't have many projects I didn't do 0022 to 0023 Then 0022 to 1.0 was a lot of code revision and headache.

So to new comers, get the latest version before you get too comfortable with the older version.

CrossRoads: You should move up to IDE 1.0.1. It only compiles (verifies) changes made since the previous verify.

I think the official one always compiles the code, you have to manually uncheck this behaviour in the settings. (Of course in my mod I don't compile it again by default :roll_eyes:)

Well, I could be wrong about non-compilation - but something certainly goes faster.