Im trying to get accurate angles with an mpu6050 without using accelerometer data

I'm trying get accurate angles with the Arduino mpu6050 without using the accelerometer. I have tried a few different libraries, but they did not provide accurate angles. Anyone have an idea of a library, or some code that could do this for me? Thanks :slight_smile:

You can't measure angles accurately with the rate gyro. For a short period of time you can use integration to measure the changes in sensor orientation. However, the rate gyro drifts, integration is inaccurate and the angle origin is arbitrary.

At best you can measure two tilt angles with reasonable accuracy, using the accelerometer. See this tutorial: How_to_Use_a_Three-Axis_Accelerometer_for_Tilt_Sensing-DFRobot

2 Likes

Hi, @Monkey4danny
Welcome to the forum.

How accurate do you need.

Have you Googled;

arduino inclinometer project

Thanks.. Tom.... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

1 Like

Thanks for your responses, I'm trying to build a Thrust vectored model rocket and I cannot use accelerometer data to find the angle. I need it to be fairly accurate, at least within 1 degree.

1 Like

Hopeless task, with that sensor.

1 Like

What is the most accurate I could get that sensor to be without using the accelerometer data?

What did you measure with your experiments with the few different libraries?

I was trying to measure the angle in degrees, but i could not get them to with only using the gyros.

Well, if you can't use the accelerometer on the MPU6050, all you can do with it is integrate the gyros' °/sec data.

How would I go about doing that?

Have you thought about doing an internet search?

I googled "integrate gyro data to get angle" and found lots of tutorials, like this one: pieter-jan.com - This website is for sale! - pieter jan Resources and Information.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.