New to the forums and infact totally new to Arduino, so much to learn and take on board - But i thrive of a good challenge! - already have a handfull of ebooks and working my way through the info in them.
I have just ordered what i believe are all the parts i need for a mock up version of a intercooler water spray for my car.
What I am looking for achieve is as follows.
The only time the spray needs to operate is when the intercooler itself (not the intake air temp!) is hot and the engine is under moderate/high load. Furthermore, the longer the spray has run, the longer it should keep running after the load or temperature drops below the trigger point. (Why? Because it’s likely that the amount of heat stored in the intercooler will then be greater.)
Having a spray controller that takes into account the above points automatically allows for:
- Days where it’s raining (and so the intercooler is already being sprayed with water!)
- Short bursts of boost (where the intercooler won’t have risen much in temperature)
- Hard driving where there’s lots of full throttle work mixed with zero throttle (the spray will keep running during gear changes and quick throttle lifts for corners)
- How effective the spray actually is at cooling (weather with low relative humidity will allow the spray to work more effectively, so it doesn’t have to be on so long)
- Variations in road speed and so airflow (eg you’re stuck behind a truck slowly climbing a long hill)
There are quite a few variables i need to set up, they include...
- Inlet Manifold Temp
- Intercooler in temp
- Intercooler out temp
- Throttle Body Postion - (how much gas im giving the car)
- Boost Level - (in addition with the above can calculate how much power im requesting from the engine)
- Airflow - (am i actually moving or in traffic) - but this uses a frequency reading, not sure how to deal with this yet.
- Windscreen wipers (or a rain sensor) - If on, override system and do not spray water
- Water level - reading, light a LED if no water
- Master override switch - device on, off
So if 1, 2,3,4, 5 and 6 are triggered (thresholds yet to determined), spray water (or light LED in mockup) - otherwise do nothing.
I realise there is alot of inputs and ifs and buts but I will be taking this project one step at a time, once I have mastered one element i will introduce the next untill everything has been taken into account.
The first port of call will be to determine the temperature of the inlet manifold, the inlet of intercooler and outlet of intercooler.
I will go forth and search the forums for info on determining temperature and performing an action (spray water) based on that, unless someone already knows of a good article/guide on peforming this action?
P.s. the mock up will use LED's to represent the water being sprayed - eventually once everything is working i will start planning the car installation.
Personal reference Guide.
Thanks for reading!