IR REMOTE CONTROLLER

So here is a simple project of mine. i was using a simple ir led and a tsop 1738 to make a wireless remote just like the one in Television and dvd players. My problem is i get a range of at most 4 centimeters whereas in Television i guess it is atleast 4 meters. I want to know how to make a more reliable remote controller with IR. I generated 40KHz via arduino PWM and ir led hooked up to 330 E resistance. please someone tell me something if anyone finds this interesting

Use a TV remote and appropriate sensor. Using ready made is a lot easier.

Weedpharma

The receiver inside the TV has a narrow (~1Khz) center frequency. Common frequencies are 36.7Khz and 38Khz. If the fundamental frequency of the Arduino is 40Khz, the receiver will be very "blind". You should be able to get ~7 meters with a single IR diode. Leo..

Wawa: The receiver inside the TV has a narrow (~1Khz) center frequency.

If the fundamental frequency of the Arduino is 40Khz, the receiver will be very "blind".

I found a TSOP38 reads successfully between 35 and 40kHz. My experiment found it didn't read at 30 or 45, but I didn't narrow that down at all.

Hi, lots of IR info HERE:

HERE's: a nice cheap remote for Robotics.

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

JimboZA: I found a TSOP38 reads successfully between 35 and 40kHz. My experiment found it didn't read at 30 or 45, but I didn't narrow that down at all.

Did you try that at some distance. Those integrated receivers have a peak sensitivity at their center frequency, and that just falls off if you deviate from that. The OP mentioned on 40Khz@4cm. I once managed to extend a 4-diode remote and a home-made receiver (without optics) to extend to 60 meters by carefully tuning it. Leo..

Wawa: Did you try that at some distance.

No, just a few cm iirc.

Wawa: The receiver inside the TV has a narrow (~1Khz) center frequency. Common frequencies are 36.7Khz and 38Khz. If the fundamental frequency of the Arduino is 40Khz, the receiver will be very "blind". You should be able to get ~7 meters with a single IR diode. Leo..

I would love to use tv remote but my project is to make a brand new project, rather than using a ready made. thank you anyways

Wawa: Did you try that at some distance. Those integrated receivers have a peak sensitivity at their center frequency, and that just falls off if you deviate from that. The OP mentioned on 40Khz@4cm. I once managed to extend a 4-diode remote and a home-made receiver (without optics) to extend to 60 meters by carefully tuning it. Leo..

So according to you which frequency should i choose. i did it at 40.1 KHz. shall i reduce the pulse train frequency???? or should i get a more expensive tsop. or is there any problem in my understanding. thank you to all for replying

Frequency used depends on the RECEIVER.
Those common 3-pin integrated receivers come in different frequencies.
e.g the PNA4601 is 36.7Khz and the PNA4602 is 38Khz.
Arduino transmitter should have the same frequency for maximum range.
Leo…

I guess the problem is with the protection resistance that i'm using with my infrared led transmitter. duty cycle of my pwm burst is 50 %. i guess 100 E instead if 330E and increasing the ducty cycle upto 65% had solved my problem, thanks to all for replying