Is it possible to drive an 8x8x8 LED cube with an Arduino Mega?

Hi everyone-

So I've looked online and found many conflicting answers, so I'm asking here. Please know that I tried to find a singular answer, but I trust the replies I get here more than random things on the internet. My question is this, I have an 8x8x8 LED cube, and an Arduino Mega. Is it possible to drive the LEDs using just a single MEGA, without any other hardware components (e.g., no LED driver chips or whatever)? I'm basically restricted to what I can get at my local electronics store (a Fry's), and so I can't use any fancy boards or specialized hardware. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone!

-T

|311x500

Yes, you can drive an 8x8x8 LED cube with an Arduino Mega alone with resistors, just like this 3x3x3 LED cube using multiplexing with only one LED to light up per layer.

Care to explain what you mean by saying you “have” an 8 by 8 by 8 LED cube?

Paul__B: Care to explain what you mean by saying you "have" an 8 by 8 by 8 LED cube?

I actually built the cube. It's for a class, and everyone was building a 4x4x4, so I asked if I could build a larger one. The TA said go for it, and so I did. It was only afterwards that we discovered that multiplexing it would be trickier.

BillHo: |311x500

Yes, you can drive an 8x8x8 LED cube with an Arduino Mega alone with resistors, just like this 3x3x3 LED cube using multiplexing with only one LED to light up per layer.

Thank you for this. I was sure that it was possible, especially since the teacher said it was no problem, but then we sort of bumped heads in trying to figure out how to do it. I believe I can get the 8x8x8 using 48 pins (32 anode, 16 cathode), if I basically wire them up in two rows and four columns (meaning, 32 columns of connected anodes and 16 rows of connected cathodes, if that makes sense). Likewise, a 9x9x9 should then be 54 pins, using 27 anodes and 27 cathodes (27 connected columns and 27 connected rows).

Thank you again for your help, you're both awesome!