keywords.txt and theme.txt - some advice.

I have been working on a number of simple libraries and wanted to add their keywords to the IDE highlighter.

The first thing that will be obvious when you attempt to build a keywords.txt file is that the only entries that are parsed are for KEYWORD1 and KEYWORD2.

Although it is possible to specify keywords for KEYWORD3 (green) and LITERAL1 & LITERAL2 (both blue), these entries are treated as KEYWORD2 (orange).

Nothing that I have done seems to change this behaviour in the slightest.

Making changes to the entries for these theme colours in [Arduino] ~/lib/theme/theme.txt makes precisely no difference at all.

#FUNCTIONS COLOR 			#D35400 - ORANGE			KEYWORD1
#FUNCTIONS COLOR			#D35400 - ORANGE			KEYWORD2
#STRUCTURE COLORS 			#5E6D03 - GREEN				KEYWORD3
#VARIABLES COLOR 			#00979C - BLUE				LITERAL1

...

To actually change anything, you need to change the entries further down the file.

# TEXT - KEYWORDS

# FUNCTIONS
editor.keyword1.style = #d35400,bold
editor.data_type.style = #d35400,bold

# METHODS
editor.keyword2.style = #D35400,plain
editor.function.style = #d35400,plain

# STRUCTURES
editor.keyword3.style = #5E6D03,plain
editor.reserved_word.style = #5E6D03,plain

Changing the RGB triplets (the numbers following the # signs) will change the colour of the type of keyword described. Note, however, that you need to change both entries. I changed the keyword1 colour to #AE4000 (a brownish orange)

Further down there are other syntax highlights you can change.

While we are inside the theme.txt file, there are a couple of other changes that you might like to make:

# little pooties at the end of lines that show where they finish
editor.eolmarkers = false
editor.eolmarkers.color = #999999

This causes paragraph marks to be displayed at the ends of lines. If you change false to true, these will show up. Making them a pale grey #DADADA (if you are using the light theme) makes them much less obtrusive.

The other convenience is edit-line highlighting (useful if you have lots of code in your sketches):

# highlight for the current line
editor.linehighlight.color=#e2e2e2
# highlight for the current line
editor.linehighlight=false

If you change false to true, this will show up - as a grey background behind the line where the cursor is currently sitting. I prefer #F2F2F2, as this is a less heavy hint than the #E2E2E2 default.

Finally, I find that comments are a little too pale to read comfortably, to change this, the relevant lines (neat the top of the file) are:

#ERROR COLOR				#A61717 - RED
#COMMENTS // COLOR			#95A5A6 - LIGHT GREY
#COMMENTS /**/ COLOR		#434F54 - DARK GREY

if you change #95A5A6 - LIGHT GREY for #434F54 - DARK GREY then comments become much more readable.

I hope this helps.
Alysson