LCD Backlight

Right, this leads on from my last "Issue" which will be resolved with a backlight I know I need a positive feed and a negative feed to the last two pins but do I just need to connect the positive to the 5+V and the negative to the gnd or do I need a resistor in there?
Thanks
OWen

Definetly check the Datasheet for the LCD and look to see what the pinout says. but you should be fine with a 5-volt power and ground. I am assuming you have a character like 16X2 display???

Yes I have a 16x2, Thanks

do I just need to connect the positive to the 5+V and the negative to the gnd or do I need a resistor in there?

That depends on your particular display. Some displays do not require an external resistor but I would guess that there are more out there that do require one.

Don

try a 220 ohm resistor.

if display is too dark, try a smaller one.

Please post a link to the LCD you bought.

I got my 16 x 2 from Sparkfun, and I placed a 100 ohm resistor on the backlight +5v (pin 15). Works fine.

Also, see...

Also, see...

Wiring a Character LCD | Character LCDs | Adafruit Learning System

Be careful when following this tutorial. The information about getting the LCD itself to work is very good but the information about the backlight seems to vary, possibly depending upon what Adafruit is selling at the time. The 'overview' includes a disclaimer stating that the tutorial is geared toward the products that they sell.

Currently the tutorial does include textual information about how to calculate the required series resistance and where to put it, but the accompanying photographs do not (and never have) shown the resistor in place.

Don