LED Strip Display Program

Hello Arduino Audience,

I have decided to take on a new project.
Objective: I would like to use a programmable LED light strip have it placed horizontally along a hallway and have a sensor for each led that will turn it's LED on when near it. And will slowly analog fade away when moved out of the field of the sensor.
the goal is that is it would be a light that follows you as you walk down the hallway and leaves a fade away tail when you move down the strip (hallway).

If someone has this type of code already made or one similar for modifications I would appreciate it. Other then that I find these LED strip libraries/sample codes alittle hard to follow. If you have a code that can help, i wouldn't mind suggestions for the LED strip and other equipment to buy.

As far as doing this with individual LED's, No problem. But I figure the LED strip would be more of complete looking project. (except for the sensors that i would tie to each strip segment.) again any help i would appreciate.

I was hoping I could code each LED or segment like a matrix and light up led(0,255) and fade when i move out of the that sensor location i--. etc....