Lilypad accelerometer programming

I have a very simple design. I have a LED POV device attached to a skirt that I would like to remain off while I am stationary, and turn on when I reach a certain speed or velocity. The Idea is that when I "swing" the device will turn on. I've looked at several accelerometer codes to see if I can cobble a code together but I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of it. Would anyone be able to help me create a code for an accelerometer that keeps my lilypad device off when there is no movement and turns the light sequence on when I am moving?

Are you able to get any readings from the accelerometer? When the accelerometer is stationery, do the readings remain constant? Do the readings change when the accelerometer moves? If so, then you should KNOW when the accelerometer is moving, and when it isn't.

Try this: ADXL335 - 5V ready triple-axis accelerometer (+-3g analog out) : ID 163 : $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
with an Operational Amplifier, a big potentiometer to stablish the reference voltage, and the output of the A.O. to an interrupt pin (to wake up).

You will have to find a A.O. that works in low voltage to work with lilypad.

I'm able to get readings from the accelerometer. I'm just having an issue programming. most of the code I've found is too advanced for me to decipher. Does anyone have a simple beginners code I could look at?

I'm able to get readings from the accelerometer. I'm just having an issue programming

Presumably you have a program to get the readings.
Why don't you show it to us?