matching motor specs

So I was interested in doing a tune up to this machine that I built because I wasnt happy with the speed of my x axis motor....it was unbearably slow. but I'm having trouble finding a motor that is more powerful and still works with my set up.

I'm using an arduino uno and a syren driver to propel my motor that is driving an acme screw. that screw is pushing a long beam to go back and forth on a rail system... very much like a cnc machine. the beams components are somewhere between 5-8 pounds of weight.

my motor is a "Makermotor"
12 volt
1 amp
100 rpm
Rated Torque 5.8 N-m (4.3 ft-lb)

it works but there is some strain on the motor as it is.
I'm trying to find a motor that can run twice as fast, if not faster. so around 200 rpms- more
Unfortunately, I cant find anything that meets my needs. i've talked with several suppliers and no one can really point me in a good direction.

any thoughts?

Kurenai:
my motor is a "Makermotor"
12 volt
1 amp
100 rpm
4 lbs- sq inch (according to the specs)

Post a link to the datasheet for the motor

lbs - sq inch does not sound right

...R

you were right. sorry.
I was going by memory.

it says Rated Torque 5.8 N-m (4.3 ft-lb)

Image from Reply #NN Original Post so we don't have to download it. See this Simple Image Guide

...R

Please post a link to the motor datasheet so we can see the full context.

Also, post a link to the Syren driver datasheet.

...R

Makermotor does not provide a data sheet with there motors so I'm not able to give you any info on that. you know pretty much as I do.

as for the syren driver:

Can you measure the speed and current draw of your motor? Is your power supply able to maintain 12V to the motor driver? Is your motor driver able to maintain 12V to the motor?

Kurenai:
Makermotor does not provide a data sheet with there motors

Presumably they have some sort of internet presence? Or is it a big secret?

When you said CNC machine and lead-screw I had expected that you would be using a stepper motor but it seems like you are just using a simple brushed DC motor.

Does the motor have a gearbox?

...R

From the PDF:

Input voltage: 6-24V nominal, 30V absolute max.
Output Current: Up to 10A/25A continuous. Peak loads may be up to 15A/45A for a few
seconds. These ratings are for input voltages up to 18v in still air without additional heatsinking.
For thermal, airflow and voltage rating charts for voltages over 18V see the back inside cover.
Recommended power sources are:

5 to 18 cells NiMH or NiCd

2s to 6s lithium ion or lithium polymer. SyRen motor drivers have a lithium
battery mode to prevent cell damage due to over-discharge of lithium battery
packs.

6v to 24v lead acid

6v to 24v power supply (when in parallel with a suitable battery).

Robin2:
Presumably they have some sort of internet presence? Or is it a big secret?

When you said CNC machine and lead-screw I had expected that you would be using a stepper motor but it seems like you are just using a simple brushed DC motor.

Does the motor have a gearbox?

...R

correct. its a dc gearbox motor.

i think there are several imitations out there that are under cutting their business right now... but who can really say.

I didn't understand how to use stepper motors and I doubted I could find one powerful enough. I just wasn't sure. but I have dealt with gearbox motors and I already knew the code I needed to use.

Motor specs looks to be the same type used to move the slide-out wall on our 5th wheel trailer. Same as used to raise/lower the front of the trailer. Draws lots of amps at 12 volts.

Paul

outsider:
Can you measure the speed and current draw of your motor? Is your power supply able to maintain 12V to the motor driver? Is your motor driver able to maintain 12V to the motor?

I'm uncertain about driver - motor, but the driver is hooked up to a 12v power supply. I'm afraid that the motor is still still installed into the project... its hard to measure its rpms at this point but I would say it averages at one revolution per second

outsider:
Is this the one? A part nr. would be nice.
PN01007-100BRKT - 100 RPM 12v dc Gear Motor with Bracket - Makermotor

thats essentially the same motor I used but with a bracket on it. ( I'm a little jealous that I didnt get a bracket with mine now)

Kurenai:
thats essentially the same motor I used but with a bracket on it. ( I'm a little jealous that I didnt get a bracket with mine now)

So why didn't you post that link in response to my request in Reply #1 ?

That looks like a small version of a screen-wiper motor for a car.

...R

the link has the same information as the screenshot.
there wasnt an actual sheet or pdf file... the only difference here was the picture

Kurenai:
there wasnt an actual sheet or pdf file... the only difference here was the picture

Whatever ...

...R