Mega2560 timedout.

This is my error: Binary sketch size: 1,770 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

When I plug in my Uno it works, no problems. COM14 i am using. But when I plug in my mega it automatically changing to COM18. it takes longer to upload the same program but then the code above always comes up. I don't know why. I am not really smart with computer stuff and lingo, so if you know how to fix it please "dumb it down".

It worked a few months ago, from what i could tell i did not change anything. uninstaller Arduino then re installed, Windows tells me all drivers are up to date. Nothing is plugged into my Mega, just the UBS obviously.

Helps anyone? I'll try to answer any of your questions... Thanks!

In the past, the Arduino Mega had trouble with uploading sketches, with a certain size of the sketch. You can try the new Arduino IDE 1.5.7 BETA and also re-write the bootloader of the Arduino Mega. You can also try to create a large text in flash memory.

However, if it did work before, perhaps the board is damaged.

That's what I was thinking. Construction workers moved all my stuff and found it laying on the ground. (But in a plastic enclosure). I have read something about bootloader. What is that?

This seems to be a chronic problem. I find the reliable solution is to reboot the PC whenever I change boards. Mega seems to be the main culprit but, once it is sorted, it should consistently load OK.

I keep a list of all the COM ports used on various computers by the several boards

The bootloader is a code that is run when the Arduino board starts. It checks if the computer want to upload a new sketch. On the board you see 6 pins sticking out (2x3pins). That is the ICSP header. It can be used to re-write the bootloader. You need a programmer for that, or you can use "Arduino as ISP", to make a programmer with an Arduino. Re-write of bootloader is for more advanced users.

We'll then I won't try that then since I'm a beginner... I'll just buy a new one. If I fix this one then I'll just have 2. Ha. I re started my computer and still same problem.

Perhaps it was dropped on a concrete floor, and the crystal was damaged. That timeout might indicate that the board is too far damaged to repair. A re-write of the bootloader might help, but probably not when it was damaged by a drop to the floor.