Motorcycle Quick Shifter - Newbie Help

Hi All,

Bit of a background, I am entirely new to Arduino and the functions of putting it all together. I currently am working on one of my personal off road motorcycles, with hopes to install a switch to allow an ignition cut for quick shifting / drag racing.

I have a purchased an Arduino Micro Unit, However before trying it in person have been playing with Tinkercad Circuit.

My current issue is that I cant seem to get the light to turn off and on (which represents signal interrupt to coil of motorcycle). I have found coding online, However there was no schematic to assist me in putting it together.

I currently have the below link, and would greatly appreciate any pointers that someone may be able to give me to assist my goal. I have currently spent 10 hours researching and learning yet still feel like I need another 100!

J1NXD:
Hi All,

Bit of a background, I am entirely new to Arduino and the functions of putting it all together. I currently am working on one of my personal off road motorcycles, with hopes to install a switch to allow an ignition cut for quick shifting / drag racing.

That sounds a bit ambitious for a first project. You could get hurt if it doesn't work right. I'd work on something a little simpler first and learn the ropes. Come back to the shifter once you have a little experience to go on.

J1NXD:
I have currently spent 10 hours researching and learning yet still feel like I need another 100!

Yeah, 100 hours sounds about right to get a basic grasp on C++. Google "C++ tutorial" and go through some of those. You can stop when you get to structs and classes, just get the basics for now.

Also, in advance, The code is from below

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmartinpro/ardu-shifter/master/sketches/arduino-shifter/arduino-shifter.ino

Delta_G:
That sounds a bit ambitious for a first project. You could get hurt if it doesn't work right. I'd work on something a little simpler first and learn the ropes. Come back to the shifter once you have a little experience to go on.

Yeah, 100 hours sounds about right to get a basic grasp on C++. Google "C++ tutorial" and go through some of those. You can stop when you get to structs and classes, just get the basics for now.

Thanks Delta, Unfortunately I have always run before walking. As much as I would love to be able to purchase an off the shelf item for this model of bike, There is none as such on the market :(, Although a bit ambitious, The throttle is still cable activated and has no part of the electronics so safety is still controlled.

J1NXD:
Thanks Delta, Unfortunately I have always run before walking.

OK, but that makes it really hard to help people when they insist on going into big things with a head full of ignorance. If you're not willing to study up on your own and expect us to figure it all out for you, then don't get mad when the people here get frustrated with you and the help dries up.

If your motorcycle doesn't allow for shift pre-selection, nothing will work.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
If your motorcycle doesn’t allow for shift pre-selection, nothing will work.

Paul

Hey Paul_KD7HB, The motorcycles will allow this style of shifting. Its just a case of unloading the shift drum by interrupting spark.

J1NXD:
Hey Paul_KD7HB, The motorcycles will allow this style of shifting. Its just a case of unloading the shift drum by interrupting spark.

About 15 years ago we built circuit boards to do this for an EE, but he interrupted the fuel injectrion because he said the ignition method caused backfires and engines in pieces.

Paul

Hi Paul, I am lucky in this scenario as it is as carby, It wont affect wont the engine can pull through in theory. Especially as the timing is so short.