Multiple Shields Concept

Hello everyone,

I'm building a camera dolly using Arduino Uno, and before getting started I would like to know whether my plan is even possible.

I will be using a moving head which will require DMX to be put in. I've found a DMX shield TinkerKit DMX Shield LINK, which I would like to use. I can output a value to DMX via Arduino right? (with that shield).

Then some other things, I would like to use a PlayStation or Xbox controller or something like that. I've seen that working when people use a USB Host Shield. I guess that should work as well right?

But I would also like there to be some output to a screen. I found an app called Blynk which should be able to do that perfectly fine. That does require a Wifi Shield though. That would mean stacking 3 shields on the Arduino Uno.

Now the big question, would that work or not? I'm quite new to Arduino but have quite a lot of programming experience, so programming wise I will be fine.

My concerns are:

• Stacking 3 shields on each other
  • The functioning of the DMX Shield
  • Having multiple inputs maybe influencing each other
  • The reliability of everything put together.

Thanks a lot for answering, getting some conformation or bad news would help me out a lot!

Greetings, R. Baauw

I can output a value to DMX via Arduino right?

I'd be floored if you couldn't. That would be like buying a motor shield that could not control motors.

I guess that should work as well right?

No. All that crap on the internet about people using a USB Host shield to read from USB slaves is photo-shopped.

Now the big question, would that work or not?

In theory, yes. In practice, probably not. None of what you want to do is easy. Each requires quite a bit of code and quite a bit of SRAM. Using all three shields is likely to use more than all of your program space, more than all of your SRAM, and more than all of your processor speed.

Thank you for answering!

Few follow-up questions:

Each requires quite a bit of code and quite a bit of SRAM. Using all three shields is likely to use more than all of your program space, more than all of your SRAM, and more than all of your processor speed.

• What if I were to use the Arduino Mega? Would that change the case of using 3 shields (wifi can also be replaced with ethernet shield if that helps)

• An arduino (uno or mega) with ethernet shield and DMX shield should actually work right?

No. All that crap on the internet about people using a USB Host shield to read from USB slaves is photo-shopped.

• So there is no chance that using a USB Host shield + USB Bluetooth dongle will work?

Thanks in advance!

• So there is no chance that using a USB Host shield + USB Bluetooth dongle will work?

You can have your leg back now.

Well that's a no I guess...

Last question, then I will leave you alone..

Is the DMX + Ethernet shield combination possible on either Arduino?

Thankss

Well that's a no I guess...

It IS possible to use a USB Host shield with USB slave connected to it. Not all the sites that claim it can be done are wrong. Some are, certainly, but not all of them.

Is the DMX + Ethernet shield combination possible on either Arduino?

Yes.