Need a little direction in my life

I just got (and put together) 2 Xbee shield kits from NKC, nice company good products. Anyway after playing with a test program, wandering around the house watching the LED blink, I realized I really don't have any project in mind for these boards.

So, what are other people using the Xbee for? What little project do you think a Xbee would be perfect fit? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks Douglas

I have a good project in mind for ya! Put them in the mail, and see how much time it takes for them to arrive at my place! ;)

On a more serious note, I have no clue.. Depends on what you are into I guess. You could do home automation stuff with one xbee enabled arduino controlling stuff close to your computer, and another recieving commands from the first to control stuff elsewhere. Or do the XBee take up the serial pins of Arduino, so it can't communicate with the old 'puter?

If you had more Arduinos (and I knew more about XBee) I would suggest trying to design a master Arduino that sends out broadcast-packets to all XBees, with addresses corresponding with each Arduinos unique id so the Master could send commands and requests to the Slaves. Then, you could try some distrobuted processing doing hard maths like calculating prime numbers or some such. ^^

Or how about a compleatly DIY weather station on the roof of your house. Sensors pick up temperature, humidity, windspeed and direction. One Arduino will sit up there reading the sensors and transmit them to the other near your computer or a LCD display.

maybe too boring ?

MikMo, I think your suggestion sounds pretty cool! He could also monitor temperature and humidity inside and rainfall outside.

Still though, that would be a lot of I/O-lines not doing anything special.. Well, if he did your LCD-idea that would no longer be an annoyance.

Is it possible for one of the Arduinos to communicate with a computer while at the same time using XBee? If it is, he could log weather stats and put that on a website (mrtg graphs and all), along with perhaps a real-time updated XML-feed..

Who knows? I remember seeing something earlier today about interfacing the Arduino to X10 components. Perhaps you could even get your Arduino to control a few light or thermostats, or window blinds based on outside light conditions! You know.. just so no I/O-lines are going to waste. ;) Controlling thermostats in your house would even make for some god-damned nice power savings, as you could turn them off/down at night, as well as shutting off lights after a certain hour!

I just got (and put together) 2 Xbee shield kits from NKC, nice company good products. Anyway after playing with a test program, wandering around the house watching the LED blink, I realized I really don't have any project in mind for these boards.

So, what are other people using the Xbee for? What little project do you think a Xbee would be perfect fit? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks Douglas

Douglas, here you have a project (http://www.blueink.com/ThePool/2008/ThePool2008.htm) that uses 120 XBee shields + modules. You could make a lot of stuff "talk" each other using XBee, like furnitures, appliances, etc. Just imagine a washer and dryer collaborating each other through XBee... the washer gathers important information during the washing cycle and passes it to the dryer for a more efficient drying cycle... or interactive toys... the possibilities are infinite!