Network Cat5 A/B switch controlled over HTTP

Hello Arduino/Genuino fans !
I am thinking about a possibility to build own A/B network switch which will be remotely controlled via HTTP requests.
For this, I'd like to use 8 Channel Relay:

8 Channel because of 8 wires of Cat5 cable.
I would connect each single wire to own relay ("Common") and from that relay, one cable will go to cable "A" and second to cable "B". All wires would be connected like this.
Then, I was thinking about very good and nice looking implementation of controlling relay via HTTP: NanoWebRelay8
Here is basic schema how the connection should look:

I am just not sure if this solution will work or not.
Usually, these relay boards are used for home automation (like turning on lights, power outlets..).
Will this solution work ?

Thank you for any inputs/thoughts :wink:

It should work, if you modify the relay code to switch the relays all together.

The network client may need a notification that its connection has changed after switching.

That is a massive waste of power and a horrible idea.
Those relays suck power continuously to hold a position, and will introduce ridiculous amounts of noise to your cables. You're literally throwing an electromagnet right next to an exposed portion of CAT cable.

What is the point of this switch? What is preventing you from simply networking the devices since you're running cable anyway, and handling addressing in software?

ziakoo:
I am just not sure if this solution will work or not.
Usually, these relay boards are used for home automation (like turning on lights, power outlets..).
Will this solution work ?
Thank you for any inputs/thoughts :wink:

And comply with CAT5 or CAT5E standards and pass the tests ?

Ha Ha Ha ...............

Based on the non-existent detail you have provided on this 'project', its not going to work.

My point is to create network A/B switch with possibility to change topology of networked devices.
I was afraid of noise, that's right. Maybe this is not a good solution then. As I am new, I am still searching for possibilities.
Do you have some advice how to make, using arduino, such a switch?
Thanks for your comments so far.

ziakoo:
My point is to create network A/B switch with possibility to change topology of networked devices.
I was afraid of noise, that's right. Maybe this is not a good solution then. As I am new, I am still searching for possibilities.
Do you have some advice how to make, using arduino, such a switch?
Thanks for your comments so far.

Perhaps provide some details as to what you are trying to do ?

It sounds like you are trying to create an electrical version of a patch panel, consisting of one patch cable and three sockets.
There is probably a more elegant way of achieving the same thing at a network level.
Incidentally, unless it is gigabit Ethernet, you require only 4 cores and not 8.

Here is schema of device which I'd like to have :

And here is link: A/B switch link
I am searching for cheaper possibility + I'd like to learn something new with Arduino.
Again, thank you for your responses.

ziakoo:

I am searching for cheaper possibility + I'd like to learn something new with Arduino.

At last some information.

You could acheive what you want by using the relay board to turn on\off the power the Device A, Device B switches. It should not be hard to find switches with 12V inputs.

ziakoo:

Indeed in the product spec it says:

All ( 8 ) pins of the RJ45 interface are switched via break-before-make electromechanical relays.

You can get relays with multiple contacts e.g. http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-axicom/8-1393808-3/relay-signal-4pdt-125vac-150vdc/dp/4220080

INTP:
That is a massive waste of power and a horrible idea.
Those relays suck power continuously to hold a position, and will introduce ridiculous amounts of noise to your cables. You're literally throwing an electromagnet right next to an exposed portion of CAT cable.

Agreed.

Whilst its possible to do the switching with relays, it going to take a deal of care with layout, and normal relays might cause many problems with crosstalk and the like.

The other difficutly in messing with the network cables themselves, not using the proper connectors etc, is that you might end up with something thats working, but only just. Make a small change, replace a cable and the whole lot could fall over.

You could test the completed setup for compliance with Cat5\5E\6 etc, but proper network testers are not in-expensive.

OK, maybe I didn't think about all the aspects.
Do you have any ideas as experienced persons, how to build such a switch ?
I'd like to use this switch with multiple devices (4 in total, each equipped with 2x RJ45 port) to be able to change network topology (star/daisychain)
Thanks

ziakoo:
OK, maybe I didn't think about all the aspects.
Do you have any ideas as experienced persons, how to build such a switch ?
I'd like to use this switch with multiple devices (4 in total, each equipped with 2x RJ45 port) to be able to change network topology (star/daisychain)
Thanks

Ah, more details.

I dont know what you mean by Star and Daisychain in relation to Ethernet networks, can you explain ?

How much experience do you have in setting up and configuring networks ?

Since this doesn't seem to be for a serious application . . . .

Try making a remote controlled servo or stepper motor. Round cap on the output shaft with the input 8 wires, a sleeve/collar with the output 16 wires interspersed, so a little movement in the motor turns the cap to switch between either set of outputs.

srnet:
How much experience do you have in setting up and configuring networks ?

I am not networking guru, but I know something... By star/daisychain topology I mean following:

ziakoo:
I am not networking guru, but I know something... By star/daisychain topology I mean following:

I give up.

You wont tell us what the aparent problem is that you are trying to solve, nor did you answer in any helpful way as to your level of experience.