New to Arduino. Which shield should we get?

I am a Junior in mechanical engineering at Oregon State university. For a project, we have to create an amphibious vehicle. Currently, we have everything spec'ed out besides a control system. Our team Is set on using the Arduino Uno, and we want to buy a shield so we can run two DC motors and a servo all at the same time. Is there a shield that is capable of doing that? We've been looking at the Arduino Motor Shield, but it says online that we can only run two DC motors. Let me know!

The control signal for the servo can run directly from the output of the UNO (no shield required). As for the motors, surely as a mechanical engineer, knocking up a bit of basic circuitry with a handful mosfets should be childs play for you?

It should be, but this is the first class that I have ever had to use anything like this before so unfortunately I know nothing.

I would recommend the Adafruit Motor Shield V2.0: Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit [v2.3] : ID 1438 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits . It can support four bi-directional DC motors and two hobby servos. You can also use either pair of DC motor drivers to drive a stepper motor.

They have a nice Arduino library and extensive tutorial: Overview | Adafruit Motor Shield | Adafruit Learning System

Will the Adafruit Motor Shield V2.0 be compatible with the Arduino Uno R3 though?

hi there,

instead of buying shield which doesn't learn you guys anything than just like be playing with lego.
try to build it your own or at least buy a board and do the wiring for your own.

in this i have posted some things which could be handy to know and to learn the basics.

first page scroll down and see

in my vision it is important to learn how to do it because of your study.

EDIT:

also be careful that you ain't draw too much current from the arduino,
if needed use an external power supply.

ME382Team24:
Will the Adafruit Motor Shield V2.0 be compatible with the Arduino Uno R3 though?

It's an Arduino Shield. There are VERY few Arduino Shields that are not compatible with the UNO unless it is specifically designed for the Arduino MEGA and those will have MEGA in the name or description.
Please read the overview linked above.